The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

I was helping my brother today update the firmware on his Trendnet AC1750 TEW-812DCU router. (He had heard about the FBI warning and asked for my help.)

The router performs quite well for him, but it is a model that came out in 2013, and as far as I can tell, its latest firmware was released in October of 2015.

What does this mean about it's security? Does this suggest that Trendnet has abandoned firmware development for the router, or that the firmware is robust and there have been no issues found with it?

Are most "old" router firmwares at risk for newer exploits that have been developed over the past couple of years? Or is it reasonable that a firmware that is three years or older is secure (at least of known exploits)?

I'm pretty sure that Trendnet Routers can be flashed with newer, open source firmware, but I'd rather avoid having to explain that to my brother if I can avoid it.

Recommendations?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Any problems with any sort of firmware, software or other programming reported by users is addressed quickly. Especially security issues. Microsoft® also is part of the resolution plan, working with providers for the best possible compatibility.
If firmware is old, does not mean it is obsolete. But from a search I did, maybe the model design has been revised to a newer one. Lots of warnings about a firmware update via WIFI that may damage the unit! Best thought is to contact customer support at Trendnet, ask about any updates. Or upgrade to a newer model. Did not find that model listed at the site, regarding firmware .. http://www.trendnet.com/support/

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

Thanks for the response, Karlsweldt.

I sorry, the model number I wrote had a typo...I should have written DRU instead of DCU. So it's the TEW-812DRU which is on the list.

I'm not sure I understand your comment:

Quote:
Lots of warnings about a firmware update via WIFI that may damage the unit!

If it was in reference to something you found because I gave you the wrong unit number, then never mind. I upgraded to the latest firmware using a wired connection, so hopefully it's not a problem.

I'll contact Trendnet and see if there are any issues.

Thanks, again.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:21 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Big difference between the "TEW-812DCU" and "TEW-812DRU" search results. No warnings about the latter model.
Good it is all sorted out now. Until that malware issue is in the dust bin permanently, good idea to do a daily reset or as needed on routers. Too bad a redesign of the network icon for Windows does not show all activity as with older OS versions. Any unusual activity can be a warning sign of intrusion, or maybe just a program looking for an update.