The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

AMD 970 chipset Gigibyte MB
Win 7 Pro
Realtek on-board chipset with a 1/18 dated driver update.

It's kinda hard to describe this,, but long story short;
I was tiring newer versions to update those bootable CD's with troubleshooting programs on them for possible future use (hopefully not) eg;
Ultimate Boot CD,
Knoppix v7.2 & 8.1
EaseUS Partition Master WinPE,
All IN One Rescue Toolkit,
MiniTool Partition Wizard
for examples.
I believe it was one of the Knoppix versions that did something as they have Ethernet drivers so one can use the included browser, but that is only a guess.

Somehow, the on -board Realtek Ethernet chipset got disabled or corrupted to a point I had to connection to the Router. The 1st time, in Device manager, the network device entry wasn't even there. I managed to get thing back, I believe by powering down and/or rebooting.

The 2nd time, Device manager had the Ethernet device entry there and it showed that it was working, but no connection. Network & Sharing showed a "Unknown Network". The Router showed the port connected as did the LED's on that back of the Tower including activity. I couldn't even access the Router.

I reset defaults in the UEFI BIOS, but that didn't work. Then I did something that I haven't had to for probably 16+ years, I cleared the CMOS on the MB, then reset the BIOS again on bootup. Connectivity was restored.

So, the question is; what could of been done and how did this happen? How could a program outside of the installed O/S affect a on-board device after the program is closed? Has anyone heard of something like this happening?

Mind you, I also didn't have connectivity when I re-loaded two of those bootable discs, so this is NOT a W7 O/S issue. I have a 2nd bootable HDD (same O/S) and that was dead also.

I don't believe it was a 'virus', the iso's that I burned to the CD's came from the original source.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I hope I didn't loose anyone, if so please re-read. It had to be some 'tampering' with the on-board Ethernet chipset and the driver it temporarily loaded.. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:51 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Not certain if Linux-based systems use a different IRQ/DMA assignment phase than Windows-based systems, but a possibility.
But the BIOS should not be easily accessible after the bootstrap or hand-over to the OS.
Also possible that the bootable utilities program had a driver for the Ethernet that was compatible to what Windows uses, but not programmed (written) in the desired format.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:06 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Assuming it was a bad (?) driver, after the program, in this case the O/S exits, should that get cleared out?

The 1st round, the entry "Network Adapters" was gone (missing) from Device Manager (Win7), the 2nd time it wasn't and showed no problem (as usual), but I still couldn't even access the Router. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:03 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

If a fault is suspected with an OS setup, then the first action would be a 'repair' with the OS install disk.. after uninstalling any recent drivers or apps that are suspect, and rolling back to previously known-good drivers. Or select a known-good restore point before the problem. Doing a "wipe" of the OS and reinstalling is a hassle, not just for the reactivation. All those updates and patches! Then reinstalling all the associated programs that log in to the Registry.
Should be only one network group active, with all branches or sources. Having two may be needed, but one must be set as PRIMARY for normal use. The secondary could be for field use of WIFI hot spots not commonly used (travel, friend visits).
You might try exploring your local network setup by using the command-prompt mode (from the 'run' box, type in cmd), then type in ipconfig/all to view status of all sectors. When done, just type 'exit' to close.
Power reserves for almost all electronic devices is less than 1/2 second. Any minor 'glitch' on power lines can confuddle the memory of those devices. Easiest way to clear problems is to disconnect from power for about 15 seconds, then power up again and all should be good. Static IP and Gateway address should be default then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The Knoppix Live CD should not be fooling around with your windows settings. it should also not be changing things in your BIOS. I somehow have a feeling this may be a low CMOS battery, because thatcan cause all kinds of havoc OR it's time to inspect all capacitors on the motherboard and inside the power supply.

http://www.badcaps.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

The O/S on those CD's I have no control over. I still don't know which one cause the problem, now it's just a guess. Since I never encountered this before, I wasn't looking for after the fact 'side effects' since I did nothing to affect the installed O/S. This was a 'look thru' once over only.

I'm glad the term "should not" was used. There are no indicators that it's a PS issue, the system is around 3 years old.

BTW, I have ordered two different NIC's which I could of use a 2nd 'port' doing some other troubleshooting not related to this (Router/Modem issues).