Windows 10 update ""TRASH"!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 update ""TRASH"!

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 am

Finally got a few updates on my laptop with Win 10, after going directly to the MS site. Dell was "asleep at the switch" in a sense.
(Laptop was not my choice, asked my daughter to get me one while in hospital last year. "Commission" inspired salesperson to sell her this POC.. Celeron 1.6, 8 Gb RAM.)
On restarting the past few days, noted "pages" flying off the taskbar center and up to the left corner of the screen, then gone. Did a check of that symptom, noted an Intel® app that was intended only for business users may be the cause.. "ISA.exe" or "Intel Security Assistant". Found 42 instances (NO LIE, 42!!) of this app running with Task Manager.. each using about 6.5 MB of memory. So into the startup features, disabled same. System does seem a bit faster without those useless 'apps'.
Gone too are the semi-active links for 'cloud services' and other nuisance apps! Why in 'Hades' would you want an "X-Box" setup link on a laptop? Or an external link turning on the Webcam?? :roll:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows 10 update ""TRASH"!

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 am

I always say, if you wish to play Blu-ray and play certain games, use Windows. Anything else go Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/Mint/SUSE) as it is a)more secure, b)less invasive, c)faster, d)not a resource hog and most of all d) its free, yes its free (I have said the before!). yes it has its issue, but a lot less than Windows. Windows reinstall - up to 24 hours, and that is driver install, software install. Ubuntu - 30 Minutes tops...

And of course when you buy a Windows laptop or tablet, it is filled with bloatware which you cannot get rid of. And if you have a windows 10/mini pc netbook with a 32Gb SSD, then forget windows updates as you will not have enough room for them, especially the Fall Creators update.

New Mac, works well but costs $$$$...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Windows 10 update ""TRASH"!

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am

Ubuntu now lets you opt-out of telemetry phone-home trickery. Until that is gone, they are off my list...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems