Help improving my WiFi signal.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Help improving my WiFi signal.

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 am

I installed the TP-link WiFi powerline set a couple days ago. It took about an hour or so to do.

A friend had some extra cable & RJ-45 connectors. So I cut and made a few Cat-6 cables (3).
One for my router to powerline, the others from the receiving powerline to Roku & Blu-ray player.

The hardest part was making the Cat-6 cables. lol

So far everything has been working good. Now I just need to get my ROKU setup the way I like. Hopefully I can dump cable tv service by the end of the year.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

The TP Link powerline have been running for over a month. The only problem I'm having is with my W.A.P. & Wireless signal.
This is the WAP I am using.
http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/ ... -WEB,0.pdf

Occasionally I see the Cisco logo flashing white, then it stops. I currently have a Linksys BEFSX41 4-port Wired Router. This is what I have connected.
PC
Smart TV
TP Link Powerline [ROKU & FireTV]
W.A.P. (Linksys WAP54G)

When I use my Tablet it shows my network but the connection doesn't stay. The connection fades in and out.
Before I go tearing everything apart, what things should I check first?

Is my Router or W.A.P. failing? Would moving my W.A.P. closer to my tablet work? I could connect it to the Powerline. Will the W.A.P. work through the Powerline?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 am

Could be a phase or echo problem with the signal. If there is a reflective (metallic) surface at exactly half or the same wavelength from the antenna, then the original signal may be self-canceled. Or there is another device that has a bit stronger signal nearby, and is causing an override.
Yes, all the devices use different encryption and data codes.. but the base frequency is still the primary 'beacon' for locating and linking up with.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 am

I added the TP Powerlines to my layout as shown below. They are used to connect my FireTV & ROKU.

I have one ethernet connection open on the receiving Powerline. Would my W.A.P. perform better if I was to move it [X] or [X]?
This way the W.A.P. is closer to my Tablet & Laptop.

Do you think the signal will work better?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:01 am

Line-of-sight always gives the best connection. Unobstructed distance depends on RF power output, typically less than 1/2 watt.
But a lot depends on how your apartment or home was constructed. There was a time when steel U-channels were used instead of standard 2x4 wood studs in walls, and can cause reception problems. Same too if insulation has a foil face instead of treated paper.
To exactly measure "dead" or "sweet" spots with radio signals, an RF field strength meter would be needed. But they can cost over $200.00 USD!
But if your device has signal 'bars' to indicate strength, then pause here and there to see what placements give the best results.
A WIFI hub or router with multiple antennas pointing in different planes will give the broadest and best signal coverage.
As to using power lines for communication, they work best on the same phase lead. Maybe a weak or no signal on a second phase lead. Most homes and apartments do have 115/230 volt feeds, from a mains pole transformer.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:01 pm

:? I think I will try using the W.A.P. through the TP powerlines. The worst it can do is not work at all. I just need to find a spot to keep it near the tablet & laptop.

Would I need to set it up all over again? Or can I unplug it in one room, then connect it in the other without issues. All the settings are going to be the same.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 am

If the units have an EPROM memory type, then maybe no need to do the entire setup again. Same effect as would happen if a power outage.
With almost all residential homes, no easy way to ID each phase feed. Power panels may have labels for each outlet or feed, but seldom noting which phase. But with a long 3-prong or polarized extension cord plugged into one outlet, use one of those neon line testers to check the 'hot' leg to each other outlet's 'hot' leg. No light, same phase. If a bright light, opposing phase. Be cautious you do not ground yourself to a 'hot' leg! Current through the neon tester is minimal, maybe a slight tickle. But relatively safe. The most deadly path for current across the body is hand to leg. Can cause fatal afib. An AC voltage can cause you to jerk away from contact.. usually. But a DC voltage can cramp you to the source.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Networking