The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bad Video Play
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:21 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

So here's my problem... I had bought an "open box" ASUS desktop computer with AMD A8~6500 processor and onboard Radeon HD 8570D graphics. So when I got the computer I installed a new graphics bd, and loaded it with video editing software. Well, when I started going online to watch some tutorials through Adobe CC, the video that was playing was almost completely black and heavily pixelated and spotty. I would have to do a few things like recycling the page a few times to get it to play normal. I tried a few things to see what was going on and updated drivers/BIOS ect.

So I thought that the graphics board might be bad, so I ordered a new g/b and installed it, but ended up with the same results. So I went ahead and ordered a NEW M/B and ended up with the SAME results. So at the end of this little journey, I ended up by pulling the G/B out and just running the computer without any g/b.

I did discover that the original m/b that came with the computer had something spilled on it which I am sure it had shorted out something. So the only thing that was a common factor was the CPU.

So I am not sure if the cpu could be playing a role in this or is it possibly that the original m/b had problems with the video output and by me installing a g/b it just transferred the problem to the g/b and now the g/b is also contaminated which inturn contaminated the new M/B which I had installed.

As of now I am using this computer, but for just going online for emails & FB. I am also getting a new computer for my video editing.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Bad Video Play
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Check that the refresh rate and resolution of the monitor is compatible to the video output. If the video output is beyond the monitor's limits, then a blank or garbled screen can result.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:16 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Sorry, that's not the problem. Like I said before.... I have done all of the NORMAL THINGS!. I am now looking at the logical side of things, like circuit level, bus paths.

From what I have seen with the first / original motherboard which something had been spilled on it and caused a short of some sorts.

How can two motherboards have the exact same problem?. The things that are common are the graphic boards and the cpu.

I have had this computer for about a year now and ever once in a while I will get this garbled/black video when I watch videos via FB. But if I watch a videos from youtube or Netflex, I have no problems. I also can watch videos that I have captured to this computer and there are no problems. I can do all the editing all day long and still no problems.

So there is some type of video codec that this computer does not like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:36 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Check with FB as to what type of video format is used. Common are AVI, FLI, FLV, MPE/MPEG and MP4. WMP is also common.
Easiest way to check a video format is to read the file, check what characters are noted in the first 8 bits. If the file tag name is different, that could be the problem, linking to the wrong player format.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:15 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I guess I should have been a little more clear.... This is an Intermittent problem and it happens even on youtube, Adobe's videos via their website. It was worse last year, but now it's not as bad as it was, so this is one of the reasons I am buying a NEW computer.

I really don't think it's just a video codec per say, but who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:47 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Usual issue with crap video is an underpowered power supply... If you stick a nvidia GT960 in, its power draw ia about 200w.. If your PSU is 250w, you will lose power when doing anything graphically demanding and get these issues...

Yet to some people I still know nothing...