Mother Board Members

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mother Board Members

Postby c327 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Well after being here 12 1/2 years I have to say boy has the landscape changed. Seems like only a handful or less remain steady visitors. Computers changed and desktop building isn't as popular as it once was it seems. When you see some homeless people with smart phones it makes one wonder where is high tech going ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Mother Board Members

Postby Roach412 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 pm

A lot has to do with the progression to a disposable model as well. People would rather purchase a brand new machine every few years and just toss the old one - there's less importance associated to value-gain from long-term investment.

For example, my current build is 5+ years old(besides the GPU and original SSD which are 3) - yet, I can still play all current-gen games at 1440p, at above average visual settings. If I bought an off-the shelf pre-built with the same specs it would have cost 2x what I purchased all my components for. So, for a rig that lasted basically 6 years - as I'm finally looking at starting a new one - I spent roughly $1,000, comparative to a <3 year throwaway prebuilt version at the same price point. I consider myself as saving approximately $1,000 - having gained 3 full years of use with no upgrades, and 6 with fractional cost dilution. I'll continue to get use out of the components for probably another 6-10 years (my 9 year old machine is the fiancée's home office box - and would probably be replaced with it).

It's just a shift if priorities and relative value association...in many cases my belief is it's a poor value vision, but...what do I know? :-|

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Built in lifespan. Just about everything made these days is designed to wear out at a specific time frame, then it gets replaced with the newer, better model. Everything is designed to throw away. That's why Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc do so well. Take Dell, for example. decent machines, great specs, on-site service plans up to five years. On one hand, it'll cost you another $500 or so for three years service, but an XPS motherboard costs $250. As parts wear out, you get them replaced with very little questioning. I have a friend who took courses on system building and repair, and he owns a Gateway. He found out that he would rather buy a big box rather than use his education to build one. Shining example right there.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:12 am

And with the "new" standards and needs of Win 10, most machines older than 10 years are headed to the scrap heap.
Today's portable tablets and 'smart' phones have a lot of computing power.. and are very popular, with all the WiFi hot spots available. Jump on the Web almost anywhere. No more being tied to a wall socket!!
Almost yearly, a new model of something is up for the public's "gotta have".

I might build myself one more system, but that is not a pressing need.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:46 am

I've had this one for three years now (i7 3770, 16GB ddr3 1600, 256GB SSD, just basic, workhorse gear.) I'll be moving in a couple of years, I expect this one to last at least that long with some minor upgrades, I'll wait until after the move to build a new one.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler