RAM for Motherboard

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

RAM for Motherboard

Postby bostonartgallery » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 pm

I just built my first PC and installed 4 sticks of 8gb DDR4 Gskill TridentZ 3200 RAM in my X99 (CPU-intel 5930 in case that matters). My question is can one put 4 sticks of "16" gb RAM in the remaining slots for a total of 96gb (FYI - board max's at 128gb and has 8 total slots) OR - do all the RAM sticks have to be the same, e.g.: 8X16gb or 8X8gb, etc.?
bostonartgallery
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: RAM for Motherboard

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 am

"can" you? yes.

will it operate optimally? no.

is there a reason you want/need that much memory?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby bostonartgallery » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Okay, thanks for your answer. I will admit I'm beyond miffed at this idea of basically the more RAM I put in my computer, the LESS optimal it will run. I'm an artist, not an IT guy and certainly not a computer engineer. Therefore, I'm the first person who will tell you I'm lightyears from knowing all there is to know about PC building. This is simply one of those non-sensical, counter-intuitive things that make you say "what" about three times. I purchased a mobo that has 8 slots for a max of 128gb of RAM and the general consensus thus far seems to be if I put anything over 32gb in the machine I will only get diminishing returns from the expanded memory!?!

With regard to the question of why I need more RAM, I guess I don't have any better answer than the same one any person has that buys more RAM - I presumed resources and apps used it, a lot - when they are running. I edit massive photo files, often over 100gb, and I edit large video files. At any one time I might have Lightroom, Premiere, Photoshop, Bridge, half a dozen plug-ins or more, countless photos aside from the 100gb edit, and a host of ancillary art, graphic and digital imaging apps running. Nothing superfluous, I'm certainly not surfing the web, listening to Pandora and watching Netflix or Youtube during my editing work. Often my resources, according to Windows, are tapped out. I guess I was silly enough to think more RAM wasn't such a bad idea... evidently, it is. I would have never guessed in a million years Asus, Intel or anyone else would build mobo's and processors that become diminished if more than 25% of the system's memory capacity is utilized.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the response, have a great day.
bostonartgallery
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 am

it's not that there's dramatic negative impacts, but...having different sized memory across the slots will need to be compensated for by the memory controller. this will cause some kind of degradation in the utilization of however much memory you have.

having identical-sized sticks across all the slots will provide you the best possible outcome - everything is matching, so there's no overhead with handling of memory requests.

there's two different things that need to be weighed for you:
1) amount of RAM
2) speed/efficiency of RAM

if you say you are running out of memory, then you can(should?) add more. synthetically there'll probably be a hit in performance, but you most likely wouldn't notice anything dramatic.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm

32Gb is fine for your needs, recommendations for what you do is about 16Gb... My main rig has 32Gb and runs fine (I use a lot of Virtual Machines), but I have never run out of RAM.. If you need speed get a good high end solid state drive for windows store/ render to decent sized 'normal hard drives - The less yoy store on the windows drive, the quicker it runs, plus if windows dies on you, your stuff is saved elsewhere..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby toml_12953 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 am

Roach412 wrote:it's not that there's dramatic negative impacts, but...having different sized memory across the slots will need to be compensated for by the memory controller. this will cause some kind of degradation in the utilization of however much memory you have.

having identical-sized sticks across all the slots will provide you the best possible outcome - everything is matching, so there's no overhead with handling of memory requests.

there's two different things that need to be weighed for you:
1) amount of RAM
2) speed/efficiency of RAM

if you say you are running out of memory, then you can(should?) add more. synthetically there'll probably be a hit in performance, but you most likely wouldn't notice anything dramatic.

-Roach

I have benchmarked AutoCAD and Photoshop and know that the more RAM they have, the better. 128GB is a good amount when editing 100GB files. Of course you need the 64-bit versions for that but then again, who still uses 32-bit anything?

Tom L
toml_12953
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to General