So long and thanks for all the chips

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

So long and thanks for all the chips

Postby Twisty » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 am

I've thought it ever so slightly pompous when people have done 'I'm leaving' posts in the past. However I now find myself writing one myself :D
So why I chosen to post that I am leaving?
    Firstly for some finality, having written this I am far more likely to actually do it and not find myself drifting back here
    Secondly to wish all of you here farewell.

The reason for leaving is simply because this forum is rather dead. This isn't a reflection on anybody who is still here, there has been a general shift to different social media platforms and the way the cookie crumbled there are not enough people active on this forum anymore to create the vibrant online community this forum once was. Logically I am better off investing my time in other forums/social media where there are much greater numbers of active contributors.

I haven't helped keep this forum alive myself - although I've been a member here for some 15 years I have been inactive for long periods and don't post a great deal even when I am active. I have enjoyed sharing some of my wacky experiments though, like back in 2001 when I used cardboard ducting so my CPU fan was drawing in air from outside the case and increase my overclock (I wonder if Dell were lurking here and stole my idea as they started doing similar in their PC's about a year later). Or there was the time when I ran a fanless PC that was submerged in engine oil.

There have been and are great people on this forum who have compassionately given their time to help others and I thank all of you for everything you have done, especially when you have helped advise me :)

My aim is to log in a few times over the next week to pick up on any threads I'm participating in and then disappear.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: So long and thanks for all the chips

Postby evasive » Sat May 28, 2016 5:48 am

Sad to see you go but understandable nonetheless. Yes, things have changed a lot through the hostile takeover of the domain, the forum hacks, and the decline of the PC industry in general.

"Thank you for the music", live long and prosper, etc...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Sorry to see you go, Twisty. But life has many roads to travel, and find new experiences.
Indeed, the age of building your own computer and servicing it is fading. Main reason being the 'smart phone' and 'tablet' versions, which have more performance than a PC of 30 years ago! We are no longer tied to a wall outlet.
May the sun be on your horizon, the wind from behind in your sails.
As Spock would say, "dif-tor heh smusma".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 am

Sorry to see you go too...

but i think that these "smarts" devices are making people stupid because they don´t have to think, the devices think by them

So long life to the PC´s and the thinking people
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Twisty » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:10 pm

The penny drops.
Done a bit of reading I think I understand a bit more why this forum suddenly got so quiet around 2012 now :lol:
I never payed much attention to the actual website - I just came here for the forum. I noticed that channelpro had taken over the front page but thought Elric had just sold up and moved on to other things, didn't realise there was an argument and he asked people to leave.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to The Water Cooler