Blue screen crashes while gaming only

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Blue screen crashes while gaming only

Postby boatabike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:18 am

Ok i think i have solved the problem and found a fix that works, having removed the side panel and have a 10 inch fan blasting away, not only is everything looking great on sensors but so far today no crashes :) with 42c outside right now i am having no probs at all as is. Obviously the girl friend is not going to be happy as this is the fan i use for her, but sacrifices have to be made right :oops:
Thank you so much for being here to help people who need help Much appreciate it.
boatabike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Twisty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am

Good to hear you've got a solution, or a temporary one at least. I was about to suggest logging voltages and temperatures as you play (check out the speedfan application), then you'll be able to see what happened just before the crash.
Some PSU's output crappy voltages when they get hot.
You might be able to tweak the config of your PC so it can stay cool without the side panel off and using the girlfriends comfort fan. E.g. is the Graphics card pushing it's hot air out of the case, is the PSU sucking in air from outside the case, or is it sucking in air preheated by all the components inside the case.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby boatabike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:52 am

just crashed again same irq equals thingy. My problem is i have no idea how to do what you suggest lol.

the dump if it helps at all
041316-5937-01 - Copy.zip
(44.64 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
boatabike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby boatabike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:21 am

snapshot of sensors during game play don't know if this info is of any use at all but hoping. The down spikes shown are when going to desktop to take screenshots

sensors temps etc.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (187.23 KiB) Viewed 368 times
boatabike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:40 am

perhaps the overheating is in the RAM modules so U can´t meassure it

on any way, try cleaning the CPU HEatsink and Fan, clean the cpu, reapply thermal paste on it (about the size of a rice grain) and assemble it again

tray using 12 cm, 4000 RPM CPU and Case fans, as many as the computer case allows, conect the fans directly to the PSU, not through the board
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby boatabike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Will give em a clean but the comp has only been running since Jan 2016 and does not visably look in a dusty way. re seating heatsinks is not my thing, i hate working on comps and do not feel confident to do so. More fans is something i will be adding as soon as the holiday week here in Thailand is over, living on Thai Burma Border area means limited tech support :) limited everything actually except heat.

Just to clarify, the problem does appear to be directly related to the heat of the day. My last crash was at the hottest time even with the fan on the side. The fan on the side has allowed me to not crash for the majority of the day. After posting that last dump i continued to play again without any further crashes all night plus once i get into night temps the crashing completely stops, as it does in the early morning. Not sure if you are familiar with how hot 40c - 45c is, the air is extremely hot. The sensor shot seems to say all major heat making components are within an acceptable range, but those sensors are there to measure the temp of those parts right, could i simple be suffering from heat without there being a hardware/driver problem? Not saying that is it but it seems so tied to air temps as it may be. Does anyone living in a hot country have any info on what there comp does in these extreme temp situations?

Crashes are only happening in gaming, nothing else to date has caused these crashes.
boatabike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Twisty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 pm

I don't recommend reseating the heatsinks unless the temperatures look high, especially if you don't have some good paste to hand and aren't comfortable doing it.

IRQ less than or equal blue screens can be caused by many things, but I find more often than not it is caused by faulty RAM. I suggest doing an memtest86 test to make sure your RAM is solid http://www.memtest86.com/ it is a bit of a fiddle to use as you need to install it on an empty bootable USB stick but it is worth it in order to eliminate RAM as the problem. Rascard is right that RAM heating up could be contributing to the failure so I'd suggesst running the test for several hours with the case cover closed to do a worst case test so you can be sure that you can eliminate RAM as a problem area for the instability.

If you RAM is fine then drivers could be a problem, check that you're running the latest graphics driver and your BIOS is up to date - also check if any patches have been released for the game.

If neither of those provide the solution then back to what I was suggesting earlier: using the Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfscreenshots.php application write your voltage and temperature data to a log as you play, then if your computer crashes you just need to look at the last entries of the log to see what your computer was doing just before it crashed, there might be a voltage or temperature spike somewhere.

P.S I live virtually on the equator so I know what hot is :) but that is why my PC is watercooled with two huge radiators 8)
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby boatabike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:00 am

Problem solved..... it died!

Completely dead got power going to the gpu card and a red light lit up on MB but other than that just a blank screen of blackness, so guessing hardware failure of some kind. Kind of a relief actually dead is better than dying and not knowing why. I will give it to the shop and they will have to do something as they will now be able top see it is a real problem.. back to the 4 year old laptop for a couple of weeks, which at 70c right now may well be joining its new brother in death lol

Thank you to anyone who offered advice, it is now out of my hands so no further assist from here required.

Case solved by death. RIP the most expensive computer i ever bought.
boatabike
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby rascard2007 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:34 pm

check for the temperature of de video card also, video games are great video cards heaters1
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 pm

40°C temp is equal to 104°F, the considered limit of body stability before heat stroke begins!
Preferred temperature is 25°C, or 77°F, or about so.
A CPU specs sheet shows the thermal limit and desired operating limit. Setting the BIOS page for CPU features should be at least 5°C below the desired operating limit. If heat is rising in the CPU, and it shuts down before excess heat is dispersed, 'heat soak' can occur, and may go beyond the maximum limit and damage the CPU core.

Hopefully that board still has some of its "nine lives" left.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support