Windows 10 BIOS Secure Boot

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 BIOS Secure Boot

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:39 pm

This new PC BIOS with Windows 10 has a setting to either disable or enable Secure Boot. Presently its disabled because of me reinstalling the O.S. but when done I am wondering if I should enable it? With my old desktop with XP I was hit with a ransom attack that locked up the PC. With Windows 10 I am wondering if having Secure Boot enabled would protect this PC from a ransom attack locking up the O.S. Or whatever.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 BIOS Secure Boot

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 am

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 24987.aspx
"Secure boot" is a means of ensuring that only the software and firmware intended for the system enables a boot.
Digital signatures in data files are checked against an authorization list, and if good, then the system can start.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:11 am

Karlsweldt wrote:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx
"Secure boot" is a means of ensuring that only the software and firmware intended for the system enables a boot.
Digital signatures in data files are checked against an authorization list, and if good, then the system can start.

So are you saying to enable it when I am done with the O.S. ?

Also will the Secure Boot feature prevent or help to prevent Ransomwear from locking up the computer?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:05 pm

I would enable 'secure boot' after setting up. Extra security. "Platinum" pass card.
Authorized software and devices that come from reputable sources should not create problems with the OS boot process. But if obtained from a questionable site, could cause the OS to lock up.
"Ransomware" and other nasties are usually gotten from unsavory sites and Email attachments that beg the curious to open.
If unsure about an Email source, view the full header only.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:I would enable 'secure boot' after setting up. Extra security. "Platinum" pass card.
Authorized software and devices that come from reputable sources should not create problems with the OS boot process. But if obtained from a questionable site, could cause the OS to lock up.
"Ransomware" and other nasties are usually gotten from unsavory sites and Email attachments that beg the curious to open.
If unsure about an Email source, view the full header only.

Some months ago I was hit with ransomeware while on CNN's website. I clicked on an article and then was hit.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Operating Systems