Win7 Network help

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win7 Network help

Postby bonz_dragon » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Been a long time since I've been here. Sure has changed!

Problem, cannot setup home group with 2 Win7 systems. Don't know where to start explanation. The one computer states it cannot setup work group.
Computers just keep changing.
bonz_dragon
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Re: Win7 Network help

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:17 am

Here is how to create a WORKGROUP. Once that is done and your PC's are set to communicate with each other. Follow this...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby bonz_dragon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:54 am

Hey T, It's sure been a long time. Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure if anyone was still around.

I think I've gotten it working but not sure it's correctly. I can now access everything but it sure seems like a round-about way of doing things. I recall XP being much more seamless.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to access the iTunes that are on the other computer. If that's even possible. I can find the files and play list but I can't get it to play.
bonz_dragon
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:00 am

Now all I need to do is figure out how to access the iTunes that are on the other computer. If that's even possible. I can find the files and play list but I can't get it to play.

Part of the 'Digital Rights Management' process (DRM). Those files need authorization to be accessed (or played) with a bit of software installed by the copyright owner of them. Yes, you buy those files, but they still are the "intellectual property" of the creator. Same as with any computer OS. Sharing or cloning of files without permission is considered as piracy.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bonz_dragon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:31 am

OK, Understand. Looks like I need to get my IPOD fixed as I've bought a lot of new stuff that's not on it.
bonz_dragon
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:17 am

Have you tried setting the itunes folder where all the music is stored to be shared? I download my itunes stuff as mp3 and save it to another folder (not on my C drive) so it can be secured if windows screws up and it can be shared to my other pc's (not to other people as I paid for it)... It's nice to see some of the old 'names' return... :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby bonz_dragon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:56 pm

The original was set up with iTunes program on C and all song files on an separate E drive. Everything still works. I then bought a new computer and loaded iTunes on it. Cloned the E drive and it worked but when I tried to put the clone in the new computer it won't read it. Does that make sense?
bonz_dragon
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 am

Open in explorer, right-click, take ownership of it. Your old account (and the SID) does not exist on the new system.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support