Ctechinfo funding drive

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Ctechinfo funding drive

Postby Toby B. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 am

I do not make a habit of begging for money, but the time is coming up soon to renew the hosting and domain for ctechinfo. The advertising on the site only draws in less then a dollar per month on average. I need your help to keep the site alive, so if you have found the site the least bit helpful please consider a donation. The PayPal email for donations is webmaster@ctechinfo.net

As many people that comment how useful the site is when it's not available I am disheartened that very few have been willing enough to help keep it alive.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Re: Ctechinfo funding drive

Postby Twisty » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Just a suggestion - If current ad revenue is only $10-15 a year then you might be better off going ad free and marketing as and ad free site supported solely by you and kind donations from users of the site. This might increase the proportion of people making a donation after they've got a useful bit of info off the site and and increase revenues.

EDIT - Also I think people who do donate get an auto reply email saying don't email here/Spammers go away‏ etc. You might be able to layer filters so something more congenial is sent in reply to paypal donation emails.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:37 am

taken care of.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 pm

thanks Edwin, the auto-responder has been removed.. It was an oversight on my part..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Twisty wrote:Just a suggestion - If current ad revenue is only $10-15 a year then you might be better off going ad free and marketing as and ad free site supported solely by you and kind donations from users of the site. This might increase the proportion of people making a donation after they've got a useful bit of info off the site and and increase revenues.

EDIT - Also I think people who do donate get an auto reply email saying don't email here/Spammers go away‏ etc. You might be able to layer filters so something more congenial is sent in reply to paypal donation emails.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was the way the emachine upgraders site finally died. In the roughly 15 years my site has been running the number of donors can be counted on one hand. I do not know TD's situation but he kept changing the domains, hosting, etc and finally killed off a lot of the driver support due to costs.. I have only ever lost one domain tied to the site. My financial situation is just one right now that does not allow "extras", hence why I am reliant on public support if the site is to stick around.

I would love to have a team like phpBB does that are tasked with certain aspects of the site, so the site could grow and prosper but I do not see that happening anytime soon. I do not foresee any form of corporate sponsorship either.

Ultimately I am stuck with the little bit of ad revenue and begging/pleading..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Return to Announcements