Expresscard USB 3

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Expresscard USB 3

Postby Twisty » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:20 pm

I've been running a cheap 'AKE' expresscard USB 3 adaptor in my laptop for a while now (3 port, 54mm).

Once I found a decent driver I found it works great and is very useful for speeding up transfers from portable hard disks and SDcard via a USB3 card reader etc.

However, it runs very hot, I'm forced to remove when I am not actively using it when I would rather fit and forget.

Does anybody have recommendation of an alternative adaptor which runs cool? I'd be happy with just 2 ports, but not with a 34mm adaptor which would leave a gap.

Laptop is an elitebook 8730w, it is long in tooth but I want to keep it a while longer as I love the Dreamcolor display which I've installed on it.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Expresscard USB 3

Postby Mr T » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:17 am

I tend to use whatever brand I could get, but look for ones with NEC chipset as they seem to have less driver issues.. However I have moved to esata for a lot of things as it is a lot quicker and a whole lot more stable.. USB3 still has issues with transferring over 45Gb's worth of data on some of my stuff whereas eSATA doesn't...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks I will look into the NEC chipset, the one I've got uses Fresco logic.
The USB 3 I find handy for memsticks, SD cards (internal SD card reader is usb2), etc plus I just like having more USB ports on the left hand side of laptop so I don't have stuff sticking out on right hand side where it gets in the way of my mousing.
I use eSATA too if I can, if I am ripping a HDD then I plug it into eSATA of my NAS and putty in to transfer the files in the background 8)
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 am

I use eSATA too if I can, if I am ripping a HDD then I plug it into eSATA of my NAS and putty in to transfer the files in the background
Thats the best way... :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations