And another Windows 10 malfunction...

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

And another Windows 10 malfunction...

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:43 am

.... And moving on from my previous thread about the dysfunctional windows 10 Start button - resolved eventually.. Another one has cropped up - NO Windows App Store or any other windows Apps.. They just don't work at all.. Many fixes on the internet that just have not worked. It happened on a clean install that went to a business, came back with no app store access - great!!! And now my machine at home is suffering and I refuse to reset it due to loads of people resetting or doing a clean install for the issue to resurface!!! (plus I would have fair amount of software to reinstall)... :(
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: And another Windows 10 malfunction...

Postby Twisty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Hello,

Did you get it working? Looks like a fairly widespread problem with Windows 10 http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-store-not-opening
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am

I ended up doing a clean install and reinstalling programs.. Didn't lose much data, but my windows hard drive is now not for any storage at all.. I updated everything, then found firefox stuttering and spluttering, esp when videos were being played...So all sorted by a) Disable Fast Boot - not needed, this is a PC not a tablet B)Disabled Sleep and Hibernation, the bane of all windows I have ever used C)And under Advanced Power settings disabled Link State Power Management under PCI_Express... All is running well now..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:12 am

Good to hear it and there is some useful info there I will try to remember if I ever upgrade a PC to windows 10 :)
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Twisty » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 pm

I've got win10 behaving for me just about.
Shut down was not working at all (just pushing me to logon prompt), but disabling fast boot sorted that out and I disabled hibernation too.

I've killed Cortana by stopping searchui.exe from running. I have to admit I do miss having a search function in the start menu though so I might try and do something about that at some point.

Most of my effort went into removing HP security centre, which was brought across from win7 and refused to uninstall. I ended up just deleting files/startup keys manually and using IObit to clean up some of the crap it left behind.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:48 am

Best tool for sorting out the "what's not needed" is still the msconfig process from [Start/Run].
Disable from auto-start what is not required, uninstall after, if not wanted.
Active programs and features are in a protected mode.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems