SCSI Card -What to expect ????

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

SCSI Card -What to expect ????

Postby sirrushx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm

:? :roll: Ok -Iam planning on using an Old SCSI card I bought years ago &never used it!!!!
It is an Adaptec 1520-A ISA card size SCSIcard .

I have an OLD cdrom from a PowerComputing MAC-CLONE that is SCSI & some 8MM Helical Drive Head Tapedrive -both standard 50-pin Variants I presume.

The Motherboard i plan to use is a Regular old DELL Optiplex GX series -Intel or my Gateway Essential 500 MOBo.

Both of these have a Jumper on the Front for SCSI.

:idea: Can I run both IDE &SCSI on this ???? -in particular installing an OS on a Harddrive (that is IDE-NOT scsi) via the SCSI CDROM ????

I kind of realize scsi setup Can be a Daunting Task -- thats why most pC,s are IDE - SATA

regards -stusirrushx PDT_Armataz_01_15
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Re: SCSI Card -What to expect ????

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:46 pm

SCSI was once the "king of speed" with data. And flexibility to work up to 7 drives, even read/write factions simultaneously.
But today, the SATA class has put it to second level.
Indeed you can run a SCSI drive system alongside an IDE or SATA system.. as long as the DMA assignment is different than the parent host if on the same IRQ. But preferred on another IRQ intended for its use.
Reference chart: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/irqs.shtml
Check the date of manufacture on the optical drive. If more than 5 years old, it may have a foggy coating on the laser lens, and that could affect its operation. Very mild hand soap, 1 drop per tablespoon, may be used on a cotton swab, very gently. Best is a dry swab, still being very gentle! Never use cleaning solutions containing ammonia on polycarbonate lenses, as this can permanently yellow them.
And NEVER, EVER power a laser disk drive with its cover open, as you may blind yourself in seconds. The beam is invisible!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirrushx » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:31 pm

8) OK -you guys are really on-the -spot here --just amatter of time before I do this - PDT_Armataz_01_09 :arrow:

regards -stusirrushx
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bdub » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am

thing about scsi is to get the jumpers right. when I was working with it, you could put 15 drives on one cable.... but each drive needed to have a scsi id different from any other. some controllers, you need to set up LUN's in a software environment (logical unit numbers), but I think yours will be all hardware, via jumpers. if you're only putting one thing on the cable, though, it shouldn't be too hard.
oh yeah, and terminators are important too. need to have a terminator on the end of the cable, or chain somewhere.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:21 am

ah, there is SCSI IDs to take note of, termination that need to be right and ofcourse drivers and mscdex.exe on a boot floppy as that card has no bios so you cannot boot from the cdrom... If you really want to push this through we'll help you, but prepare for a bumpy ride.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirrushx » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm

BUMPY RIDE ~~~~_--++++_____~~~ yes -thats computers for ya!!! :wink:

regards -siirrushx stu PDT_Armataz_01_27
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Tech Support