SFC /scannow Question

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

SFC /scannow Question

Postby c327 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:10 am

Windows 10 Pro x64:

Originally I had a problem downloading photo's off my digital camera to my photo editing program,when I got a notice that a MSVCR.120.dil was missing.

I ran the SFC /scannow a number of times both in Safe Mode and Normal Mode and it said something was corrupted or missing and that it was not able to repair everything.

I downloaded a file that contained a .dll redistributal file (I know that was not a good idea) and checked to see if my camera issue was corrected, it was great right.....well not really ????

I ran the SFC /scannow again and it said the same thing still something is corrupted and it referred me to a log file that is very very long that I can make no sense out of yet the computer seems to be working fine now I guess until I go to do something else and another pop-up will tell me something else won't work.

I know what the simple answer is but I want to avoid that if I can. I need the help of a computer detective to track down the perp. :lol:

Note: Evidence found at the scene of the crime:

A month or so ago I installed a few brand new programs some of which were original Microsoft and some were current but not M.S. Days later I was looking in the Control Panel under Programs Installed and I noticed a few things that I thought and still question if they belong there. There was about 3 or 4 redistributal programs all the same but with different years at the end. I deleted one of them before my brain kicked in that said to me I better look into this before I delete the other couple. I never got around to looking into it until now.

I am wondering if I needed what I deleted? Did I damage the O.S. ? Will I correct what is going on with the corrupted file or files by uninstalling what I installed and then reinstall them? Is what the SFC /scannow is saying is corrupted have to do with the operating system or is it something regarding an installed program that screwed up something in the registry?

Thanks..............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: SFC /scannow Question

Postby Toby B. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 am

From personal experience do not delete the redistributables!! Programs that require the files will fail to work properly.. it won't actually FUBAR windows..

If you have a log file from SFC, please copy and paste it here.

As far as the missing .dll, I am not 100% sure if it's from the '12 or '13 version but installing either one or both won't hurt anything. If you install the wrong one it will simply tell you the file is still missing...

The bad part about those alternate download sites is usually the files are packed with crapware..
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:52 am

Toby B. wrote:From personal experience do not delete the redistributables!! Programs that require the files will fail to work properly.. it won't actually FUBAR windows..

If you have a log file from SFC, please copy and paste it here.

As far as the missing .dll, I am not 100% sure if it's from the '12 or '13 version but installing either one or both won't hurt anything. If you install the wrong one it will simply tell you the file is still missing...

The bad part about those alternate download sites is usually the files are packed with crapware..

The log file will not upload here 2.6 mb in size. I attempted to paste it but It seems the file size is to large.?? There seems to be many thousands of lines of entries in the log. Mucho many submitted for repair. I see many DIRSD OwnerWarnings of Is Not Owned.

Primitive installers committed for repair.....
00004e06 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

Also see quite a few Error Overlap Duplicate Ownership For Directory

What does all this relate to? Is it the Operating System or programs installed or both ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Toby B. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:51 am

if you want to try and email me a copy of the log, I can upload it to the my site and link it here...

I do not believe the problem goes any deeper then the software program not being compatible with Win10. But you are going to need to install/re-install the redistributable linked by I believe Mr. T in the other thread.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:24 am

Toby B. wrote:if you want to try and email me a copy of the log, I can upload it to the my site and link it here...

I do not believe the problem goes any deeper then the software program not being compatible with Win10. But you are going to need to install/re-install the redistributable linked by I believe Mr. T in the other thread.

I deleted 10 programs I had previously installed and rebooted and rescanned after each removal and the SFC /scannow results are still showing something being corrupted. The scan log is in text form and is 7.91 mb in size. The only remaining programs I have installed is MS Office-Home & Business, Malwarebytes Premium, CCleaner and Super Anti Spyware. The only additional remaining programs installed are the ones installed by Sager. The PC is working fine as far as I can tell and it may have been been corrupted all along when I received it from Sager which I had to send back to them twice for a screen issues which they replaced with another type, I think it was called an IPS screen. I only found out it had corruption issues since I scanned it the other day looking for the missing .dll file. The 7.91 mb file size is kind of large to email and may not send ?? I don't see your email address?

I sent you a PM

Thanks..........
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:29 pm

That total file size of 7.91 MB may not be all data. Try zipping it down and see what size it becomes.
Spaces and blank areas take maybe 50% of any document type file.
The 'corruption' problem may only be a broken digital signature, or not matching the current WHQL associations.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm

http://www.ctechinfo.net/files/c327_scan_log.txt

seems kind of odd, the attachment was 8.1MB, but download was under 7MB...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:36 am

Karlsweldt wrote:That total file size of 7.91 MB may not be all data. Try zipping it down and see what size it becomes.
Spaces and blank areas take maybe 50% of any document type file.
The 'corruption' problem may only be a broken digital signature, or not matching the current WHQL associations.

So Far I have removed 13 programs including my 3 antispyware, malware utilities. I have taken probably 20 SFC scans the one I uploaded to Toby was the latest and that may be why the file size changed slightly from one of the first few taken.

The only remaining program that I installed is MS Office-Home & Business which includes my Outlook email program. The PC seems to be running fine since I corrected the missing .dll file. Had it not been for me scanning regarding the .dll file I would probably not noticed the corrupted issue. It may have been on this PC when I got it from Sager ?? Fact remains I want to find the cause of this and correct it hopefully with out having to reload the O.S.

Thanks
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 am

Toby B. wrote:http://www.ctechinfo.net/files/c327_scan_log.txt

seems kind of odd, the attachment was 8.1MB, but download was under 7MB...

I see you got the scan log. Thank you for getting it put up. I just remembered that in addition to things I installed I have my new all in one HP printer installed. I will remove it and scan again. Being the scan log is posted here and I know its long I would appreciate it if someone would look at it and offer suggestions on how I can correct the problem.

Thanks...............All
Last edited by c327 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Something is wrong with the link to that image! While changing to your hosting site (Photo Bucket), up comes a page from "lifestyles-of-the-rich-and-2-chainz" which acts like a "gotcha"! Had to disable my Internet link to close that page!

But if I note correctly, you have several versions of Visual C+ on that system? May be a problem.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems