Need help for repairing m15x motherboard

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need help for repairing m15x motherboard

Postby hytchygo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:53 am

Hello everyone,
Yesterday i bought an old m15x alienware at good price , i want to repair the motherboard .
I know that some component are broken because:
1 when i plug the dc charger -> the dc charger went in "security " the light of dc charger disappear
2 i have taken the motherboard out, at first sight, the insulator paper was deformed/ with warm i suppose above two component
exactly as the following picture
3 there are an inductance type component literally broken , i can read the identification character on an other one 1350f3 3r3g tmp t9913

I came there in this forum to look for help/ i want to know and learn how to repair this motherboard.
Excuse my poor English

If you need more informations i would give you with pleasure.

ps: i found a post in chinafix website does anyone can read Chinese ?
hytchygo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Need help for repairing m15x motherboard

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:51 am

The power input socket of laptops is a common failure point. Sometimes, easy to replace, as long as the identical type. But care with the soldering iron to avoid damage to nearby components is critical. If a nearby component looks darker than normal, it may have been overheated.. and is no longer usable.
If a laptop main battery has a bad cell or is past its useful life, it may present a larger load on the charging circuit than designed.. and cause damage to regulators and power filters. And to the charging unit. The polarity of the charging unit (AC adapter) must be the same as the device, and the proper voltage and current. Or fatal damage can ensue.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hytchygo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the answer Karlsweldt .

i have to test the power input socket, i will take off the solder this week end for sure.
But i know that others component are broken .
I found this on the net
http://computer911.byethost10.com/examp ... kattempt=1

in the link , firstly they checked the two component that i said they overheated on my motherboard too.
But they also make others checks .
I need instructions with the level of beginner to repair my motherboard.
Does anyone had this kind of motherboard repaired before ?

Does people trust refurbished motherboard, i found cheap refurbished motherboards for 80$ , from china .
If anyone have bought this kind of product can you give your personnal experience with them.
hytchygo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Basic tools for unsoldering a component is a length of copper braid, to use as a "wick", and a soldering gun or iron of at least 100 watts. "Get in and get out with the heat" is the #1 golden rule.
You Tube should have a lot of DIY videos on soldering techniques.
A 'refurbished' board should be 99.9% as good as new.. with a warranty of maybe 30 to 90 days. If no warranty, walk away.
If any circuit chips look 'toasted', they may be bad. The replacement must be the exact same type. Don't worry if there is a component missing (bare solder pads), likely part of a different feature on another model.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support