Motherboard seems to hang during POST

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Motherboard seems to hang during POST

Postby ColemanR » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:08 pm

I pulled the following out of a pile of discarded electronics. However I can't seem to get past the initial POST.

Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Rev 2.0
Intel E5200 2.5 GHz
24 sticks of 1GB DDR2 ram modules
Leadtek GT9600 512MB

I have a fully working 650W PSU to test it with.

The only problem is... during boot up I see a screen flash saying something about 512MB ram... then i get stuck here:

---
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Copyright(C) 1984-2012, Award Software, Inc.

G41M-Combo FB

Main Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.5GHz (200x12.5)
<CPUID:00010676 Patch ID:060F>

<DEL> BIOS Setup <F9> XpressRecovery2 <F12> Boot Menu <End> Qf lash 10/25/2012-G41-ICH7-6A79PG0WC-00
---

Thats where I'm stuck.... The message doesn't display anymore, it doesnt scan through the ram or any other hardware.
Any key i press doesn't do anything (but i can still toggle caps/num/scroll lock on my PS2 keyboard)
If I spam the DEL key shortly after i power up, it will say "Entering Setup" at the bottom, but then hang anyway.

Ive tried different ram, different configurations, no GPU (then no video as onboard vga port also not working), remove cmos battery, manually reset cmos, use that jumper to reset cmos...

I'm literally suck as to what could be the problem.

A friend let me swap in a E2160 and i had the same result, except that it showed the E2160 as the cpu on the screen. (and it only supported DDR2)
I even tried a Pentium D 925 i pulled from an old dell server. Same problem again (Except it thermal shut down after 10minutes since i was using a stock intel cooler)

Anyone know what could be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Cole

Extra notes:

Ive been trying to boot without an HDD just to access bios and determine if the motherboard fully works.
Ive tested with and without a CD drive, and an ubuntu live cd. All same issue
I only have a PS2 keyboard plugged to the I/O on the motherboard. I must use the GT9600 graphics card as the onboard VGA port just doesnt give any signal to my monitor
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Motherboard seems to hang during POST

Postby Toby B. » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I would suspect there is a compatibility issue, possibly some settings issues, and worst case scenario hardware issues (depending why it was in a discard pile)...

Considering the board has 4 slots, the following does not make much sense..
24 sticks of 1GB DDR2 ram modules

Is it two or four? What brand/specs of the ram? what slots have you tried? If using two sticks they need to be identical and in the same channel (colored RAM slots).

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4213#ov

check the board closely for bloated/leaking capacitors: http://www.badcaps.net
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby ColemanR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 am

Ah sorry i should have explained that

24 sticks of ram were also discarded.
All but one were kingston KVR667D2N5/1G models.

I had a single Micron MT8HTF12864AY-667E1 stick which IS on the QVL... but the individual memory components on it are of a different model to that shown in the QVL.

The board has 2 ddr2 and 2 ddr3 slots.

All my ram is ddr2, and a friend lent me two ddr3 sticks to try but i dont have their model number on hand (but it wasnt in the QVL i believe either)
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ColemanR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 am

I did notice that just after it completes its POST, all the usb ports loose power and dont work.

Then it loads the bios splash screen and hangs after showing a line with my processor details
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:03 am

Timings of memory modules are critical for proper paging. The modules must be as recommended by the provider's QVL specs, or identical from other brands. The 'value' grade of memory modules may work fine in systems where the FSB is as it should be, but have little tolerance for higher bus speed. Only 'premium' grade modules can tolerate somewhat faster bus speed.
You cannot mix DDR2 and DDR3 modules together. One or the other. And there may be manual jumpers to set the case for either. Then too, if the memory controller is on the CPU die, lower voltages to memory are critical, or the memory cannot page properly if requiring a higher voltage. The one module you note as "KVR667D2N5/1G" is in the 'value' grade.
If you have not already checked the specs on that motherboard, here is the link..
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4213#ov
1) 1333/1066/800 MHz FSB
2) 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets. Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)
3) 2 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets. Support for DDR2 1066(O.C.)
Check the lower left corner of the first info screen noted. There will be a string of characters, noting the model, BIOS version and date of conception. That is a positive ID of the motherboard.
The CPU model is also important for proper operation. The BIOS may not support all in the CPU class noted.
Refer to the provider's QVL as to CPU type and memory type.
Give the motherboard a close scrutiny. Look for possible 'toasted' voltage regulators near the CPU, or other signs of possible heat damage. Capacitors can be going bad, but do not exhibit outward signs until critical.
There may be power headers for the CPU and GPU or other fans. Ensure the proper connection for each, set the BIOS monitor page as "ignore" for those not in use.
There is a 4-pin socket near the CPU. That must have a power lead from the PSU connected, or insufficient power for the CPU. Two yellow, two black leads.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ColemanR » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:37 am

Me and my friends suspect as much.

After following every possible guide on forcing the gigabyte dual bios to activate, the motherboard's internal graphics and vga port became usable again. However it still keeps hanging at the BIOS splash screen again.

I checked up some pictures of other bios' messages at that stage. It seems it hangs just after showing my CPU details and just before the "Memory Testing" messages. So it seems something is messing it up as it tries to do the memory scan.

I know the DDR3 kingston modules i used were 1333 rated. However their model number wasn't on the QVL.

Either this board is just very picky with its ram modules, or somehow ALL the ram sockets are dead...

I will try to get ahold of some QVL ram to put in and try again... or depending on prices just get another motherboard 2nd hand which does support this ram. (I know ALL these dims boot perfectly fine on an Asus P5VD2-VM motherboard... but my E5200 isnt supported on it. Luckily i have access to a E2160 for that board)

Speaking of which, the bottom left gigabyte motherboard details are:
10/25/2012-G41-ICH7-6A79PG0WC-00

I have reinspected the entire board again and rechecked the CPU/socket for damage and found none.
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Can't say it enough times. A POST diagnostics card is a 'magic' tool to have when easy solutions to motherboard problems cannot be found. It displays a two-character code for each POST step, and if a character set hangs, that is where to start sleuthing. Budget models start around $30.00 US, can go beyond $300.00 US for pro models with lots of bells, whistles and buttons.
If you can find a CPU and memory that is fully compatible with this board, give it another try. May be lucky.
But then too, someone may have tried to flash the BIOS and corrupted it, or was the wrong version.
That board has "Dual Hardware BIOS Protection" which means there is a backup BIOS program in case the in-use program becomes corrupted or crashes. Check the user manual on how to restore.
The board uses high-quality capacitors, so should be no issue there.
Another link as to 'overview'.. http://www.gigabyte.com/service/rss/rss ... 4213&cat=8
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ColemanR » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Can't say it enough times. A POST diagnostics card is a 'magic' tool to have when easy solutions to motherboard problems cannot be found. It displays a two-character code for each POST step, and if a character set hangs, that is where to start sleuthing. Budget models start around $30.00 US, can go beyond $300.00 US for pro models with lots of bells, whistles and buttons.
If you can find a CPU and memory that is fully compatible with this board, give it another try. May be lucky.
But then too, someone may have tried to flash the BIOS and corrupted it, or was the wrong version.
That board has "Dual Hardware BIOS Protection" which means there is a backup BIOS program in case the in-use program becomes corrupted or crashes. Check the user manual on how to restore.
The board uses high-quality capacitors, so should be no issue there.
Another link as to 'overview'.. http://www.gigabyte.com/service/rss/rss ... 4213&cat=8

I was considering getting one of those tomorrow to try. I'm on a tight budget and have been wanting to make a desktop so when this motherboard and cpu fell into my lap for free, I thought why not?

The CPU is compatible (e5200) and was already in the socket when i found it.

The only thing that isn't "compatible" is the ram, which was a bag of 1GB kingston KVR dimms which was also discarded... (And I have tested and found to all work on an Asus P5VD2-VM board from my workplace's backup parts. Unfortunately that board is not compatible with the 5200, so I can't test if the CPU is the problem... which seems unlikely given the test results thus far)

I tried every method to force the backup bios to restore. The holding power button, jumping pins 4 and 5, 1 and 6, 4 and 7... It seemed successful as it did restore the onboard VGA. And the bios splash seems to indicate it is the correct bios (FB).

Back on the RAM topic:

I'll look to obtaining a single stick of either of the following from the QVL to put in to see. They are all on QVL and don't require any overclock or auto underclock to function. If all works well, i'll grab another stick and start having fun. If it doesn't... its a minimal financial hit... (unless i keep going at this project and find another motherboard... but that is barely breaking the bank)

DDR3 1066: 4GB, Samsung, M378B5273BH1-CF8, (DS). Component id: Samsung K4B2G0846B HCF8
DDR3 1066: 4GB, Kingston, KVR1066D3N7/4G, (DS). Component id: Samsung K4B2G0846B HCF8

DDR2 800: 4GB, Samsung, M378T5263AZ3-CF7, (DS). Component ID: Samsung K4T2G084QA-HCF7
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:35 am

The only caution I offer regards the memory amount. If running a 32-bit OS platform, around 3.5 GB is all the system can manage.. including any device cards with their own memory. A higher amount may cause paging issues.
Best to go with a trial 2 GB module for testing. Then add more memory if needed. A 64-bit OS platform can manage more than 32 GB of system memory.
But good luck with it.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ColemanR » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 am

Ive got a 64bit ubuntu live cd to use to boot.

Ive swapped in a known working and compatible E2160 cpu on the board and have exact same issue still.

Ill be debating tonight about doing a 2gb ram stick instead or save myself the time and risk and go buy a tested 2nd hand mobo cpu combo and be done with this. (Which is what ill have to do if i find its the motherboard which is faulty)

Thanks much for your help and advice!
ColemanR
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Tech Support