False Windows Security Warning ????

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

False Windows Security Warning ????

Postby c327 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Another thing new has come up regarding this Windows 10 Pro O.S. add it to the list that is growing.

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 and have the following utilities installed: Malwarebytes Premium, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner and using Windows Defender as my anti virus utility. Also using Google Chrome 32 bit as my browser..... now the issue:

This has happened around 3 times so far during the last couple of weeks.

While on CNN's website and navigating within this website a notice popped up on the screen locking the PC up. It looked like a Windows authorized notice telling me that the website I was on was bad or not authorized...May be wrong with the wording here. It looked like ransom ware but not certain if they asked for money, maybe not and there was a radio button to click OK I think. Not being able to x off this website made me be very careful in what to do, certainly not to click on anything. I CTL ALT Del it got me off that.

Now my question is why was I hit with this since I thought this PC was pretty much protected from nasty's especially like this one if in fact it was one? I know I have read about Windows Defender not being the best choice in anti virus protection but figured it would be OK on this PC since I don't do risky things with it, plus the fact that I have Malwarebytes Premium running in the background.

I am wondering if I should rethink getting a full featured pay anti virus utility plus maybe switching to the Edge browser ?? I don't know if or how well my wireless DSL router can protect this PC with something like this.??????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: False Windows Security Warning ????

Postby Toby B. » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:26 am

I am wondering if I should rethink getting a full featured pay anti virus utility plus maybe switching to the Edge browser ?? I don't know if or how well my wireless DSL router can protect this PC with something like this.??????

Using the Edge browser for "security" is probably the wrong approach. I cannot think of any MS browser that was secure.

As far as paid versus free AV/Anti-crapware... The is only one true way to protect a PC, lock it in a dark secluded room without internet access. Regardless how much protection you think you have one wrong move will render that protection useless..

Just my $0.02...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:05 am

Toby B. wrote:

Using the Edge browser for "security" is probably the wrong approach. I cannot think of any MS browser that was secure.

As far as paid versus free AV/Anti-crapware... The is only one true way to protect a PC, lock it in a dark secluded room without internet access. Regardless how much protection you think you have one wrong move will render that protection useless..

Just my $0.02...

For years I used all free nasty protection utilities on my main PC and never had a problem. Used AVG, Malwarebytes, CCleanner, Superantispyware. The reason for my concern now is the wife has her own PC and she loves shopping and coupons and God only knows where this activity takes her. So I was looking for a little added protection for her and something simple. I think I paid $51.00 US for Malwarebytes Premium for two computers for 2 years, I thought that was a fair price. I put this program on my laptop also and since then I have had 2 or 3 incidents of this pop-up nasty that I figured Malwarebytes or Defender should have caught? Also this both laptops are 64 bit and using Google Chrome 32 bit. I don't see a 64 bit version available from Google ??

This laptop is new (Sager) and I usually reinstall the OS on any new store bought PC even before using it because of the pre installed software that comes with most all of them. Being that I am on a big learning curve with Windows 10 from XP I decided to not reload the O.S. as I don't know enough about navigating within it. So much is new but I am slowly getting there as an advanced home user, nothing more.

Agreed nothing seems to be fail safe today, but no sense in pushing the envelope.....

Thanks.............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 am

R: What advice can you give to us "average" folk on how to stay secure online?

H: If the attachment is ending in .exe and pretending to be something else, it's malware for sure. If it's a .pdf it can only infect you if you haven't patched your Adobe Reader (Is now done automaticly). Cybercriminals use 0day exploits only on valueable targets like Iranian power plants or companies with intellectual properties and ****ing lot of cash.

- Facebook friends don't share funny cat pictures on randomly generated domain names.

- If your AV says it's clean or even if Virustotal gives you 0/43 it can still be malware, been there, seen that. Srsly, don't trust your AV.

- Use HBCI or similiar for online banking, it costs 30$ and is military grade cryptography (private key signing), only open source cryptography on signed hardware is 100% secure.

- Windows updates, yes, do them. If you have a pirated copy, just buy that **** or use linux.

- If you are super paranoid, buy a netbook and use a LiveCD or similiar on it whenever you put your CC information in.

- Banking on mobile phone, it's stupid, but atm 'not that dangerous as it seems', because 99% of cybercriminals can't code and there is no (serious) android or iOS malware yet on the market.

R: Does this mean Linux or MAC OSx are impermeable to malware? If so, why? If not, what's the best way Linux or MAC users see if they've been infected?

H: No, but Linux is not targeted, because it is not economical.

R: how about making a better AV detection system and profiting off that?

H: AV is a completely wrong approach to security. If you need AV to feel secure you already failed.

From a Reddit interview with a hacker.. I heard similar on BBC news the other day about a hacker, he never uses antivirus as it is pointless, just goes about things a different (paranoid) way...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Public WiFi zones are rarely secure. Hackers troll them for "fish". Same if your home WiFi network is not secured.
Anytime a message pops up about security or "you need this", that closure box [X] may trigger a hit on your system. Best to use the Task Manager and close the browser, or right-click the Internet icon in the SysTray and disable it. Then the threat of being hacked should be gone, and the nasty can be closed. Good idea to restart before enabling the Internet again.
Indeed, a purchased antivirus and firewall program from a good company is always better than the 'basic' or 'freeware' version.
A false positive on a file, such as a broken digital signature, is not uncommon. Could be only that the signature is not currently registered (old file).
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security