Tuning Up Windows 10 Pro

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Tuning Up Windows 10 Pro

Postby c327 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:49 am

I bought a new laptop (was a nightmare) with Windows 10 Pro installed. In the past like way back when sometimes referred to as the good ole days :o the first thing I did after I got the store bought computer was to reinstall the O.S. in order to get rid of all the pre installed crap ware and the outdated drivers.

With this PC I didn't do that because I was not familiar with the W10 operating system and didn't want to overload my brain any more than it already is.

Being a Sager computer it didn't come loaded with as much crap ware as some so I figured I would give it a try and weed what I could out which I did but my travels within this new O.S. took me to areas of pretty heavy lifting like system processes and services. Normally I ran a Selective Start-Up in XP and I don't know if the same thing is possible in W10 haven't looked yet, but there is still the Processes or Services to deal with that seems to be running in the background.

Although this PC is running real good I think it could run better if I cleaned some of this stuff up. I don't see where I could do any damage there but I can see a lot of time being spent starting and stopping things and then trying to figure out what worked and what didn't. I am trying to stop drinking but this O.S. is giving me a good run around the block.

I have gone through all the initial intrusive MS settings up front and turned off what ever I could but now i'm in a different area where I could use some suggestions. There seems to be many things running (list is long) especially some of which I created when I installed various programs.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Tuning Up Windows 10 Pro

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:14 am

Best tool is the msconfig command run from the type-in block of "START". Check the 'start up' listings, disable any unwanted processes. But use discretion! Then go to the 'uninstall' menu page about programs, and finish it. Any active feature or program will not allow removal. Win 10 has too many unwanted features that install without asking. And they hog Internet bandwidth needlessly!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:03 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Best tool is the msconfig command run from the type-in block of "START". Check the 'start up' listings, disable any unwanted processes. But use discretion! Then go to the 'uninstall' menu page about programs, and finish it. Any active feature or program will not allow removal. Win 10 has too many unwanted features that install without asking. And they hog Internet bandwidth needlessly!

I was looking in the Task Manager and there are 245 services listed, some running some stopped.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 am

..there are 245 services listed, some running some stopped.

Far too many 'processes' running! A fair system load is less than 100, down to about 50 or less and you have a good, fast system.
Too much c**pware put in with Win 10 without asking. Likely a 'play through' app, 'one cloud service' and constant Internet monitoring for news, fashion, weather and such.. all from a billboard of "live" icons. And games with one click?
If using the "cloud" service with a portable device, acceptable. But a home PC tied to a wall outlet? X-box connectivity even if you don't have one? And WiFi searching for 'hot spots' or other users beaming a "come hit me"?

Use discretion about removing or uninstalling apps and programs. Best to disable them from the start-up menu and check operation first. Your anti-virus, firewall and auto-update features should remain active. And just one firewall program active, or they buck horns for dominance and slow a system down.
Many processes, such as SVCHOST.EXE are just enablers for specific programming when needed. No active CPU use, not bogging down the system.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:34 am

Karlsweldt wrote:
..there are 245 services listed, some running some stopped.

Far too many 'processes' running! A fair system load is less than 100, down to about 50 or less and you have a good, fast system.
Too much c**pware put in with Win 10 without asking. Likely a 'play through' app, 'one cloud service' and constant Internet monitoring for news, fashion, weather and such.. all from a billboard of "live" icons. And games with one click?
If using the "cloud" service with a portable device, acceptable. But a home PC tied to a wall outlet? X-box connectivity even if you don't have one? And WiFi searching for 'hot spots' or other users beaming a "come hit me"?

Use discretion about removing or uninstalling apps and programs. Best to disable them from the start-up menu and check operation first. Your anti-virus, firewall and auto-update features should remain active. And just one firewall program active, or they buck horns for dominance and slow a system down.
Many processes, such as SVCHOST.EXE are just enablers for specific programming when needed. No active CPU use, not bogging down the system.

The list is long I know and I am not certain of what is needed and what is not. I am wondering rather than knock my self out any further if it would be better off reloading the O.S.? I have the ISO file for W10 Pro x64 on a thumb drive and have the COA key for it. I am running Windows Defender as my anti virus etc. also running Malwarebytes Premium (pay), CCleaner, Superantispyware that's it. The laptop is connected to the wireless router via Ethernet cable. WI Fi is disabled on the laptop and security is enabled on the router to some degree.

Now besides spending a ton of time trying to figure out where things are located I have made quite a few setting adjustments with this intrusive O.S. and have spent a lot of time installing and setting up all new 64 bit compatible programs including an expensive MS program that is only good for one PC and although I was told it can be reinstalled on this PC again in case I had to reinstall the OS I don't know if that is actually correct?

I am concerned about the possibility of unknowingly reinstalling some of the --apware that came with the driver CD from Sager.

Is it all worth it to reload the O.S. And then have to redo all that I have done up to this point???? I will pick through the Start-Up list and see what I can shut down but the list of services/processes is going to be hairy.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:41 am

In truth, should be no programs in the "start-up" listing of the "Start" menu unless absolutely needed.
Anti-virus and firewall programs should always be auto-start.
Messenger services, 'finders' and 'help' programs are always on call as needed, should not be lingering idle and hogging memory.
If in doubt about what to take from the auto-start roster, ask first. Most programming is unobtrusive, but wastes CPU cycles and memory reserve unless actually in use.
The EULA for programming states how it can be installed, used, and if a need to reinstall.
Reactivation of an OS or most programming has limited instances. But a hardware failure or viral infection is usually acceptable cause. But there may be need to talk to the provider.
There may be a 'bundle' of software that is useful, or not wanted, with driver disks and program installs. May be free for 30 or 90 days, but then you are hounded to pay for it. "Free Internet" is one example. So too oddball security features and "tune-ups".
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:10 am

No, you don't need to reinstall, that is the last step if your operating system has major issues... To disable startup applications, left click on the taskbar and open up Task manager.. Look at the top and go to start up... Disable all, apart from anything to do with graphic card drivers (ATI, Nvidia, Intel etc..) and Windows Host Process.. Then go to the windows icon on the bottom left corner, left click and go to Settings. In Windows update disable Automatic restarts, close down. Go to your windows button and left click, look for Search, open and type in Schedule, look for Scheduled Tasks and open it - look for any tasks that you have not disabled... Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings and choose Automated Scheduling. Create a new task for scanning your system and set it for once a week, and if missed, run again 24 hours later - I set that for midday Saturday, my PC is on, but not in much use... Set the auto updates to run once a day as they aren't heavy on system resources.. Once thats done, remove the ones that the kind people at Malwarebytes have put in as they are not necessary for you... You next need to schedule drive optimisation if your drive is NOT Solid State (if it is a Solid State Drive, defragging the drive will shorten its lifespan)to once a week and a time thats suitable for you...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:18 am

Mr T wrote:No, you don't need to reinstall, that is the last step if your operating system has major issues... To disable startup applications, left click on the taskbar and open up Task manager.. Look at the top and go to start up... Disable all, apart from anything to do with graphic card drivers (ATI, Nvidia, Intel etc..) and Windows Host Process.. Then go to the windows icon on the bottom left corner, left click and go to Settings. In Windows update disable Automatic restarts, close down. Go to your windows button and left click, look for Search, open and type in Schedule, look for Scheduled Tasks and open it - look for any tasks that you have not disabled... Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings and choose Automated Scheduling. Create a new task for scanning your system and set it for once a week, and if missed, run again 24 hours later - I set that for midday Saturday, my PC is on, but not in much use... Set the auto updates to run once a day as they aren't heavy on system resources.. Once thats done, remove the ones that the kind people at Malwarebytes have put in as they are not necessary for you... You next need to schedule drive optimisation if your drive is NOT Solid State (if it is a Solid State Drive, defragging the drive will shorten its lifespan)to once a week and a time thats suitable for you...

OK I will take a look at that, thanks. I have a 500GB SSD and yes I knew about defragging shorting its life. I think its set to do automatically. I will check it and set it to manual if I can. Note: I Checked and its set for monthly, I will leave it set like that.

I see something that looks different in the Task Manager in W10 vs XP and I may have explained things wrong.

The Task Manager lists - Start Up, Processes (Background), Details, and Services among a couple of others. This is what I have as of this moment.

Start-Up 17 items listed just 1 is enabled (CCleaner)
Processes (background) 43
Services - 238 84 are running
Details List - Kind of long didn't count them.

My Installed programs are 43 installed 2 are questionable total size 7.2 GB. I looked them all over and deleted what I was certain of with 2 remaining questionable.

I never saw Services before and don't know why so many are listed? I am wondering if some may be orphans from previous installed programs or if I should be concerned with this list ?

My SuperAntiSpyware turned up Flexera Software isuspm.exe. I searched for it (I did it with files and folders hidden) and nothing showed up. Do I need this program?

Thanks all for your help
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Leave the services, windows has a lot, if you disable one that you are not sure about, it may stop another from working and cause all sorts of issues...

Flexera Software.. Legit and use to make stuff like install shield... It may be a false positive... What does Malwarebytes say about it?

isuspm...

As for the SSD, defragging should be disabled by default from windows 7 upwards due to TRIM.. (I had to enable it on my Macbook with the latest OS 'El Capitan' - shows that Apple haven't really got their act together either...).
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Each "svchost.exe" listed is for a different service or process. Could be many listings, just as that entity, with or without a reference or link.
What is a "svchost.exe"? As Microsoft® explains it..
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Svchost.exe is a process on your computer that hosts, or contains, other individual services that Windows uses to perform various functions. For example, Windows Defender uses a service that is hosted by a svchost.exe process.
There can be multiple instances of svchost.exe running on your computer, with each instance containing different services. One instance of svchost.exe might host a single service for a program, and another instance might host several services related to Windows. You can use Task Manager to view which services are running under each instance of svchost.exe.

Mr T is correct. If taking out one entry, that may affect several processes.
Don't change the affinity or priority either.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems