Windows 10 Folder Icons

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 Folder Icons

Postby c327 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Is there a way of changing the folder icons in Windows 10? They look hideous as they are and would like them to be simple looking like they were in at least Windows XP
Last edited by c327 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 Folder icons

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 pm

F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows 10 Folder icons

Postby c327 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 am

Karlsweldt wrote:http://www.tenforums.com/customization/14196-changing-folder-icons-windows-10-a.html

Thanks for the link but that was for the desktop icons. My concern was for folder icons that I created.

I figured out how to change the folder and sub folder icons but it is one time consuming pain in the butt. You have change each icon individually and I have many. Isn't there an easier way ?? Why has it been made so complicated. Is it that difficult for the engineers at MS to make things more simple and pleasant to use, how stupid of them.

How I changed the icons of folders I created in Windows 10 if you don't already know it:

1) Click Properties of the folder that you want to change the icon of.
2) Click Customize
3) Click Change Icon
4) Select icon and click on it
5) Click OK
6) Click OK Apply and OK
7) Icon will change after you close off this folder and reopen it.

I know this may be old news to most but for me it wasn't because in XP Pro everything was right for me. Then a jump to 10 Pro was a learning curve with a bunch of setting adjustments and still on going.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 Folder Icons

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:22 pm

About 3/4 down that link page, there was a sub-topic about changing the folder icons.
Should have noted that alone, but solutions to both desktop and folder icons.

Win 10 is a bit unrealistic in its appearance and features. Intended more toward mobile devices, not a home PC. And too much 'bling' and 'gee whiz'. I still wonder if some programmers got their certificates from cereal box tops!
The old adage.. "It wasn't broken.. why did they try to fix it?"
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems