Windows 10

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10

Postby c327 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 am

Having used Windows 10 Pro for a few weeks I think I have already been educated enough as an advanced home user to comment on it.

Having used other operating systems in the past I have used XP the longest right from the beginning up until just a few weeks ago when I switched to 10 Pro. On having just taken a quick glimpse at Vista I was turned off with all the eye candy and never bothered to look at the others after it assuming they were just variations of it, so I stayed with XP and all of its hot fixes for as long as I could.

Now after installing Windows 10 Pro x64 my initial take of it is WTF. Granted I guess that this new OS may be more secure and better performing but it seems it went from eye candy to something only a 13 year old wiz kid would know how to navigate through it. Yes you can make quite a few setting adjustments to it but is it all really necessary for the average user?

It seems they went from one extreme to something even worse. Years ago cars had a choke cable you had to pull out a little to get the car to start now you can start it from inside your house. From my point of view as just an advanced home PC user is why couldn't MS design an O.S. that was secure, well performing and reasonably simple to navigate through? 10 is one frustrating, aggravating and over engineered O.S. I have ever used. I'm starting to have flash backs to when I had Windows ME...........Now what??
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10

Postby Toby B. » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:28 am

I've also tried out Windows10 and have gone back to 7 for at least the time being. It is still too early to know if Windows10 is "more secure" than it's predecessors.

My list of peeves with 10 is small but nonetheless is still a list..
1.) Sluggish as hell out of the gate if not using top of the line hardware.
2.) none-to-little customize-ability (like XP/2000 you could have the eye-candy or classic view)
3.) slight learning curve for the navigation of the OS
4.) not everything is backward compatible. I had both driver and program issues.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:22 pm

interesting. my mom had no qualms jumping right into 10. she disliked 8 considerably, but has complained a measureable amount less about 10 than 8.

my very limited enterprise testing of it hasn't really made me think anything too horrible of it myself...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55 am

I used to work on my car, servicing and repairing it myself.. Now you basically have a laptop under the hood and an engine shoehorned in under the hood.. Bad, bad bad...

Same with PC's, however after migrating to linux (which has issues too) due to windows crapness, I have learnt an awful lot...

Basically, ALL versions of windows aren't great, but like an average car are adequate for most people and relatively usable...

Windows 10 is a serious crossroads for M$.. Is it for a phone, tablet or PC?? Who cares really as long as it can do what you require (ie stop the kids annoying you with windows issues). If it doesn't , there are plenty of other options.. Apple, Linux, BSD, Android and on and on...

No Windows 10 is not great, but for doing somethings it is a necessity for me.

All in all you will have to get used to it 'cos M$ are going to force you to upgrade wether you like it or not:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -computers
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:04 pm

All in all you will have to get used to it 'cos M$ are going to force you to upgrade wether you like it or not:

I gave up on the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7. Never again! Back to Win 7, that was intended for a proper PC setup.
A tablet version of Win 10 is acceptable and proper.. but that version is not for a true home or business computer!
I will use Win XP for as long as Firefox and my antivirus honor it. Then, Win 7 if need be.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:

I gave up on the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7. Never again! Back to Win 7, that was intended for a proper PC setup.
A tablet version of Win 10 is acceptable and proper.. but that version is not for a true home or business computer!
I will use Win XP for as long as Firefox and my antivirus honor it. Then, Win 7 if need be.
Why not try a linux distro... XP is full of security vulnerabilities as well as no software support... Windows 7 is slowly going the same way, and soon the only windows update left will be an upgrade to windows 10..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler