Computer diede

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Computer diede

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:13 pm

The only output was the +5VSB? That should always be present, even if the PSU is not active.
Almost any type of switching PSU needs a minimal load on two or three source leads to properly regulate and provide power.. Otherwise, the entire group of power outputs may not appear.
Not uncommon for a good company to want a security deposit on an item before a suspect one is returned, and will give back that security deposit on return of the suspect product. But check that PSU before sending it back, with proper loading.
You may be honest and above-board, but there are shysters out there that try to swindle.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby okrobie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:17 am

Hi Karlsweldt, while I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, I'll reinstall my old 750. What can I do to make other diagnostic efforts? I'll assume you are right about my old PSU and go fro there. Could it be my motherboard or CPU? Thanks, Jim
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 am

Voltages from the PSU must be right on the mark, or within 1% +/- for ideal performance. A 2% +/- margin is acceptable.
There are two load factors on a PSU. First is the 'static' load, where circuits are powered but not active. Then the "dynamic' load comes into effect, once the PSU loads and voltages have stabilized, and that PG or 'power good' signal is then present to start bus clocks and give life signs.
A PSU having only one or two sources of the same power (+5 volts or +12 volts) is not as good as a PSU having more bus sources. The source can be maxed out, and regulation can suffer. Peripheral devices should be on their own source leads, and include case fans. This lessens loading on the +12 volt bus feeding the motherboard and CPU.

Adequate air flow through the case is paramount, to keep devices within temperature limits. More air into the case than out is a desired result, or the PSU can overheat. Cleanliness of cooling fans and other components also is highly desired to lessen a chance of overheating. Any feature on the motherboard that is duplicated with an add-in card should be disabled totally. Same goes for any unused features, especially if a modem setting or IRQ is noted. Unused fan header monitors should be set as "ignore".
Slim down active processes of the OS. Normally, should be less than 50 active processes. A count of 40 or less is better.
2 GB of main system memory should be enough to run 99% of wants. But the 'video aperture' is only for use with on-board video. Setting that to minimal if using an add-in card is best. Never go more than 25% of total memory if using an on-board video setup.
Using a wireless keyboard or mouse is best if there is line-of-sight between the components. And no similar devices nearby that could create interference of the signals.

For diagnostics programs, CPU-Z is basic but informative. Others such as Aida64 are more in depth, but the purchased program does more than a 'trial' or 'freeware'. Belarc Advisor and Sisoft Sandraa are good diagnostics programs too.
Having a POST diagnostics card is a good tool, some cost less than $30.00 USD, pro models can range to over $200.00 USD. They display all POST steps, and any step that 'hangs' is a clue as to a problem.
Check the health of cooling fans by nudging the blades with a toothpick. If they jiggle to a stop, all is good. If they coast to a dead stop, the bearing lube is drying out and cooling efficiency suffers. And maybe overheating of components. Time to relube the bearing or replace the fan. Same with the PSU fan!

Basic maintenance and care can go a long way to avoiding major repairs or replacement.
The 'bad caps' syndrome is still with us. Look over all larger capacitors on the board. If any have domed tops, lean excessively or show leakage, they are bad. More info at www.badcaps.net/
The rating should be 105°C for computer use. 85°C is not acceptable.

(Sorry if a long post.)
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby okrobie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:45 am

I've got a POST card on order.
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Twisty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:42 pm

Are you sure the new PSU was dead? Some PSUs (especially ones using ZVC switching) can't operate at zero load, so depending on how the PSU checker works you can get false negatives. It can help to plug an old hard drive etc onto the PSU to put a bit of load on the rails while testing.

Something else which can happen is the Motherboard or Graphics card fails dangerous, i.e. in a way which blows the PSU when they are connected. The PSU is supposed to shut down automatically before damage is done, but I've had one system blow 3 PSUs in a fairly short order (two of them COrsair AX860i) which I am pretty sure was down to a 2nd hand water-cooled GTX285,
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby okrobie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm also going to buy a power supply locally to do some more testing.
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby okrobie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:29 am

Even though my replacement PSU has arrived, I'm not going to connect it until my POST card arrives.
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby okrobie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:34 am

Since Corsair didn't have my RM1000 in stock, they upgraded me to the RM1000i

P.S. Thanks Admins for allowing me to post without admin review.
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby okrobie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:16 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Well folks, my computer is running, but am I ever embarrassed. After all I went through, buying a new power supply, buying a used power supply locally, buying a POST analyzer etc. It was something simple and stupid. Well here goes I'll confess.. It was a loose connector on the motherboard. It was the interface to the front panel. I should have guessed something was wrong when I wasn't getting any beep codes.

Karsweldt, you were so right about your doubts that it was the power supply.

Twisty, yes, the first power supply I bought was definitely dead. I was getting no leds on my power supply tester.

I'm going to keep my new 1kw power supply. I really like the modular concept and I wound up getting an upgrade to an RM1000i because they were out of stock of the RM1000. I like the USB interface for the PSU. I haven't tried it out yet but it sounds cool.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Regards, Jim :oops: :oops: :oops:
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Sounds like you are a 'happy camper' now, in a way.
Those front panel connectors pair function pins front to back or side to side. A must to check the pinout diagram!
With those 'system' speakers, usually a 4-pin plug, only two pins used. A 'standard' speaker has no problems with polarity, but if the 'Piezo' type speakers (thin plate), polarity is important for function.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support