Asus M2NPV-MV Vi Bios 0504 USB over current fault

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus M2NPV-MV Vi Bios 0504 USB over current fault

Postby thomastt3712 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:19 am

Hi This is my first post ..! was bench testing my M2nPV-Mv after replacing a Bios Chip,The board posted ok and I got into the Bios just fine.I shut down the power supply and attached by usb rear port a usb Hard Drive.On reboot I got POST ok but black screen and message that there was an over current fault.I shut down the PSU removed the usb Hard Drive,I rebooted the board got POST but couldn't get into BIOS as there was Black Screen and same fault message with nothing connected to any of the USB ports?.I have tried cleaning all USB ports and ensured that all the jumpers were set to default
I am wondering if any member has been able to resolve this issue,I have tested the USB Hard Drive in a PC with Gygabite Motherboard and have had no problems!
Are Asus boards susceptible to this fault?Seems a shame to bin the board.
Any help appreciated

michael
thomastt3712
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Asus M2NPV-MV Vi Bios 0504 USB over current fault

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:54 am

Some more details about the system would be helpful.
Was the CMOS reset to default after the BIOS upgrade? Is it the proper version for that board?
To ensure the CMOS is truly reset, the mains power has to be taken off the PSU, and a few attempts at starting made.
Then use the provided CLR CMOS jumper to drain any voltage from the circuit. Then reverse the order, and power up, going into the BIOS first and setting all features to how the system is built.
Only after that, can extra devices or features be added.
Is the PSU sufficient for the setup? What wattage and brand?
The USB drive.. is it a 2.5" laptop type, or a 3.5" PC type? The latter requires a lot more current than a USB port can deliver, and needs its own self-powered case. Maximum current from any USB port is 500 ma, or 1/2 amp at +5 volts.
Any external USB or other device should be connected only after the system is up and stable, unless it is a boot source.
Reset the CMOS and redo the BIOS pages without the drive, then start the system and see if all is good. Also check all power connections to the motherboard.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomastt3712 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Some more details about the system would be helpful.
Was the CMOS reset to default after the BIOS upgrade? Is it the proper version for that board?
To ensure the CMOS is truly reset, the mains power has to be taken off the PSU, and a few attempts at starting made.
Then use the provided CLR CMOS jumper to drain any voltage from the circuit. Then reverse the order, and power up, going into the BIOS first and setting all features to how the system is built.
Only after that, can extra devices or features be added.
Is the PSU sufficient for the setup? What wattage and brand?
The USB drive.. is it a 2.5" laptop type, or a 3.5" PC type? The latter requires a lot more current than a USB port can deliver, and needs its own self-powered case. Maximum current from any USB port is 500 ma, or 1/2 amp at +5 volts.
Any external USB or other device should be connected only after the system is up and stable, unless it is a boot source.
Reset the CMOS and redo the BIOS pages without the drive, then start the system and see if all is good. Also check all power connections to the motherboard.

Thanks for your reply yes the cmos was cleared after the new Bios chip was fitted,yes it is the latest correct Bios for the Board,and yes I unplugged the power cable,I removed the battery and cleared Cmos with the Jumper.My USB Hard drive is a Western Digital 250gb USB 2.0 in its own enclosure and Power supplyThe PSU is 500watt and almost new.I have reset the Cmos again but can't boot into Bios as I just get the black screen and over current fault..your system will shut down in 15 seconds! Hope thats sufficient information,I apologise for not including that information in my post..Michael
thomastt3712
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for the extra details. Always helps with diagnostics and suggestions.
If the external USB drive has its own power, then none would be drawn from the USB host port.
The USB ports and BIOS/CMOS power needs are supplied by the +5 volt stand-by part of the PSU. The BIOS battery is only a backup for when no mains power is on the PSU. There is a lead in the main ATX power connector with that source, a violet color wire, opposite the latch. Should be +5 volts ideally within 1% +/-, 2% is acceptable. If not so, then the PSU may have problems.
With the PSU unpowered and drained of any reserves, check all USB ports that are mounted on the motherboard with a light, to check for any debris that may be in the slot. Same for any plug-in USB ports. A hatpin would be the safest tool to probe with. Again, ensure there is no reserve on the PSU, and no +5 volts stand-by on the main ATX power plug. The outer contacts #1 and #4 are for power, the #2 and # 3 contacts are for data only. Getting +5 volts into the data circuit may kill the controller.
At this point I would disconnect any plug-in USB ports, and remove the mouse and keyboard from the USB ports. If the same warning appears, likely the BIOS chip may not be the correct one, or some fault on the motherboard has come to be.
If you could revert back to the original BIOS chip and the same condition is had, possible motherboard fault.
Did find some links with similar references to your problem..
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index ... c=153727.0
http://superuser.com/questions/1029850/ ... os/1030069
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31420 ... ut-seconds
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support