BIOS will not start with any SATA drive connected

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIOS will not start with any SATA drive connected

Postby dawsonc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:33 am

Just building a machine using AS Rock 970 Extreme 3 MB but when I connect any device (HDD, SSD, DVD) I cannot enter the system BIOS (UEFI). If I disconnect all the SATA devices I can get into the BIOS, but of course I can't see the drives as they are disconnected. Struggling to see how I can proceed from here, any ideas greatly appreciated, as I'm tearing my hair out. thanks
dawsonc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: BIOS will not start with any SATA drive connected

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:36 pm

All power connections on the MB mated with leads from the PSU?
Any system fans like the CPU on its dedicated header?
Have you tried with just the main hard drive on the primary SATA port?
If not running a RAID configuration, disable any RAID settings and use "auto" or "JBOD" choice.
AHCI should be enabled, if featured.
What is the wattage and brand/model of the PSU? Sufficient for this build, with some reserve?
The BIOS access jumper in the 'normal' position?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dawsonc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:31 pm

I've checked all the power connections are mated with the PSU.
I have got a CPU fan and 4 case fans and they are all connected to the motherboard on dedicated headers
I've tried every permutation of HDD/SSD/DVD and it will go into BIOS with only one connected in SATA port 1
I have only got IDE/RAID/AHCI on the storage configuration. I've changed that to AHCI and enable AHCI (When I did that the first time I didn't even get into BIOS it just ran a message of AMD AHCI BIOS VERSION 3.0.5 AHCI DRIVE INIT.... but the next time I booted, it went into BIOS again
The PSU is Corsair CX 750 so should be big enough.
BIOS jumper is in default mode.
Still scratching my head
dawsonc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Maybe checking all the motherboard supply voltages to see if they are proper might be a next step. Any black lead is common. Voltages are most accurate when under normal load. Ideal is 1% +/-, but 2% +/ is close enough. The -12 volt supply can be off by more than 2 volts but still within range. The PG or 'power good' signal lead should be very close to +5 volts. The PS_ON lead shows zero when the PSU is active, near +5 v. when inactive. The SB +5 (stand-by) is always present, unless the mains plug is pulled. Use only a digital meter so as not to load signal circuit voltages excessively.
Should not be an issue, but look over all the capacitors on the board. Any that show domed tops, excessive lean or signs of leakage are bad. More info about "bad caps" at http://www.badcaps.net/
The only reason I asked about the BIOS access jumper is that a lot of board models have an intrusion detector, and if tripped, you have to reset the feature for system access. Should be described in the manual.
The USB standards mandate that newer versions are backward compatible to older devices. Are those devices rated as USB 3 or older? Check the label on each device, ensure jumpers are set properly.
The as-provided SATA data ribbons are not the best. Try a better type.
As for case fans being mated to board headers, check the BIOS page concerning fans. Only the CPU and GPU fans should be monitored. Set all others as "ignore" for speed. Best would be if case fans are directly connected to the PSU.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:04 am

dawsonc wrote:I have only got IDE/RAID/AHCI on the storage configuration.

Try the IDE configuration
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dawsonc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:35 am

Karlsweldt: I should have made the point that this is a brand new board, and brand new kit to go with it. All of these diagnostics, seem way beyond my ability, but are they applicable to a brand new board ?
I can't see anywhere on the board User Manual about intrusion detection, and how to reset if tripped.
dawsonc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dawsonc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 am

rascard2007 wrote:
dawsonc wrote:I have only got IDE/RAID/AHCI on the storage configuration.

Try the IDE configuration

Tried that and all of the other types ADHI & RAID. Still no joy
dawsonc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:32 pm

If I understood, you can go into bios using only one device in SATA port 1?

have U tried only one device in each of the remaining SATA ports?

have U check if U leave any standoff screw below the mobo that can be shortcicuiting the board?
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Even with a brand new motherboard and components, there is always that one in 1,000 that may be a bad egg. Have seen a few, in my many years of building and repairing.. dead, out of the box!
With most of today's motherboard designs, the CPU has extra pins to set proper voltages and FSB speeds. And has the memory controller on the CPU die. Memory modules use lower voltage than older modules. Use only what is recommended on the manufacturer's QVL list.
As long as the CPU and memory are compatible to the board's design, all should work well at first start. But there are those rare ones that may have problems.
One of the easiest and least expensive tests is to replace the BIOS battery with a new one. No telling how long the board sat on a shelf. Once the video card is installed and powered, then go into the BIOS pages and set the configuration needs. If using an add-in device card, disable the on-board identical feature(s). And any that are not relevant to needs.
Once set, then add the hard drives and optical drives. If a problem arises, "unbuild" and start anew, one drive at a time. When a fault arises, likely related to that last item.. or incompatible drive.
The RAID feature is present on most new motherboards. But if not using a RAID setup, it should be disabled, or set as a random group of disks or drives (JBOD) or 'auto'. The SATA drives may have a jumper to lower its status to older standards. Check that it is set properly.
If you can access and set the BIOS pages with no drives attached, then the system should accept one hard drive on the primary drive port (SATA 0) and come to life again.
With the "fast boot" feature on some boards, if the POST process cannot find a bootable drive, the system may hang. And ensure the drive(s) are within BIOS limits as to capacity.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dawsonc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Motherboard is going back to the retailer, and we'll see how I get on with the new one.

Thanks for your help. Any tips on installing a new one ?

CD
dawsonc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Tech Support