Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 won't run memory as dual channel, etc

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 won't run memory as dual channel, etc

Postby BasherB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:57 am

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 won't run memory as dual channel:
New components to upgrade desktop PC:
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 970 Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Two x Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit - CL9 - each pair installed as per mobo manual's instructions
AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 14MB Cache[/list][/list]

Installed Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Mobo BIOS shows 4 slots filled but only reads as 8Gb total

Windows shows 16Gb (but unable to use 8Gb)

CPUID software installed on PC reports each channel filled but each is running as single channel

Any ideas of how I get mobo to report 16Gb and for it to run as dual channel please?
BasherB
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 won't run memory as dual channel, etc

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:45 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
Moved your post to the "General" folder, better here.
As to your problem, ensure that the indicated first pair of slots of the same color are populated. The modules have to be a matched pair (or pairs), compatible with the CPU and FSB specs. While two slots in each channel, both channels must be populated.. not only one channel. If two slots are blue, those are first populated. The black ones as secondary.
Check the user manual again, as to BIOS settings concerning memory install and timings. May be a mismatch of the modules, or a control line to extend memory access.
Specs on that model board.. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5 ... fications/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 am

maybe one of the modules is defective, that can happen. but it can also be incompatibility. what is the exact part number of each kit? Because I only see one Corsair 1600 kit listed in the QVL memory list for this board
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:36 am

try each stick on its own in the slot closest to the cpu, and make sure they all boot the machine into the bios.
if you have one that won't start the machine, you found your bad stick.
if all 4 sticks boot that one slot, try one stick in each of the other three slots.
if one slot doesn't boot the machine, you found your bad slot.
if all four slots boot and all four sticks boot, then maybe try reseating the cpu, checking to make sure all the pins are good and straight.

another good test if all this fails to nail the culprit is to try two sticks in dual channel config for each set of slots.

you could also have an issue with standoffs under the board in wrong places that could cause this issue, or a fritzed psu...

when you run memtest, how much ram is showing?

another thing you can try is backing off the ram frequency in the bios, push it down to 1333, or 1066, and see what shows up.
http://www.memtest.org/
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BasherB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am

OK - have taken on board what has been suggested from various quarters and have also dug a bit deeper myself with the components in an attempt to eliminate anything that may show an issue:
Ensured BIOS set for 1600MHz for the memory
Have run MemTest - that reported no problems (with the two sticks that I think may be a problem, but there again may be OK - see further below)
The memory was purchased as two sets of 2 x 4 GB (kits - CMX8GX3M2B1600C9) - 9-9-9-24 CL9
With all four slots occupied: BIOS still reports 16Gb; NorthBridge reports each slot with 4Gb; Windows reports "16Gb (unable to use 7.90Gb)" - have never seen this before on any other PC I've built; CPUID software installed on PC reports each slot occupied with 4Gb - but only as single channel.
Then tried each set separately (blue slots and as per MB manual) - first set showed as above but with 8Gb via BIOS and Windows "8Gb (unable to use 3.90Gb)".
Second set showed similarly as above but only 4Gb via BIOS whilst NB showed each slot with 4Gb as did CPUID software - I then swapped the two modules of this set around and the BIOS and CPUID showed exactly the same: only 4Gb, etc.
This makes me think that the second blue slot may have an issue, which if slots one and two are filled could have a knock-on effect on 3 and 4.
So still no full compliment of memory usable (and no limitation set within Windows) and still no dual channel :(
So back to the vendor to get sorted I think!
BasherB
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Take a look at the user manual, description of motherboard features.. especially the memory slots. The primary bank is "Bank 0", the secondary bank is "Bank 1". Notably, the blue slot (slot 0) in "Bank 0" would be the first-detected slot. Try each module in that slot, booting to the BIOS pages. Note the timings from the memory control page. The memory settings should be by "SPD" or Serial Presence Detect. This automatically sets timings.
All modules must be identical in timings, amount and type. Non-ECC preferred.
If one module or pair of modules shows faster or slower timing ranges, then the set is not matched.
If the BIOS picks up that there is 16 GB installed, yet the OS cannot access the total, check that the video aperture is set to no more than a max of 1 GB. That portion of memory is only a cache to keep the video process at full speed, when using an add-in video card.
Check the memory slots for any dust or debris. Use a bit of canned air to gently blow out any. Never "wipe" memory contacts sideways, only up and down.
Here is a link to the Asus QVL list of recommended memory types..
http://support.asus.com.cn/QVL.aspx?SLa ... R2.0&os=30

Perhaps getting the system up and running with the OS settled in and updated on just 8 GB then adding the remainder of the memory>
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby NeoBoard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:37 am

evasive wrote:maybe one of the modules is defective, that can happen. but it can also be incompatibility. what is the exact part number of each kit? Because I only see one Corsair 1600 kit listed in the QVL memory list for this board

How can you tell if one is defective or not? I'm having the same problem as the op trying to set up dual channels. I've tried all the solutions in this thread so I guess mine must be faulty even though it looks fine.
There's vigrx plus for sale on my site.
NeoBoard
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Re NeoBoard:
Preferred you start your own thread on the problem, instead of in someone else's thread.
That link I posted for Asus support as to compatible memory types should list the memory you have. If not, it may not be compatible as to timings. There should be a tag on each module, noting its brand and part number. Compare that to what is on the chart.
If there is another working system that can accept those memory modules, check each one separately as first detected.
A small program called CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html can display memory timings easily.
There also is a program called "Mem Test" which runs in basic mode from a floppy disk or USB flash memory. If the modules pass the test, they are good, but may not be compatible to the system needs. http://www.memtest.org/
Faster modules can clock down with few or no problems, but slower modules cannot keep up with the clock for paging.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BasherB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 am

Even though I couldn't get anything running as I thought it should, the components were returned to the company I purchased them from. They tested them and said all components were OK. My feeling is that it is something to do with the chipset on the board as after I got my money back and ordered a better Asus board with a different chipset (M5A99X EVO R2.0 990X) and a full 16Gb memory set I had no problem whatsoever and all bits were working as they should have been according to CPU-Z
BasherB
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Arydigital » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:06 am

How can you tell if one is defective or not? I'm having the same problem as the op trying to set up dual channels. I've tried all the solutions in this thread so I guess mine must be faulty even though it looks fine.
Last edited by Arydigital on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arydigital
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to General