ASUS Sabertooth X58 question

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: ASUS Sabertooth X58 question

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:46 am

F@H refers to "Folding at Home", a project of Stanford University. It is a process where snippets of protein are folded in a computer simulation to determine how and why proteins do so, to attain their desired form and use. If at some point the protein misfolds, serious illness forms can occur.
Anyone can participate in this world-wide project, just download a small program and work units to your personal computer and let it run. Currently, GPU folding is most popular. But does require certain hardware.
No monetary rewards or prizes are offered for this effort.. only the satisfaction of helping to discover how maladies of mankind are formed, and possibly how to cure them.. in our lifetimes.
http://folding.stanford.edu/
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby okrobie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:24 am

Hi Karlsweldt, sorry to do this off topic but this board doesn't have PM's.

I have joined F@H and am running it now. I can't find answers to a few questions. What happens when Microsoft reboots my computer for updates? Or for that matter for any shutdown or reboot? Can I run it on several computers? Thanks for turning me on to this. Regards, Jim
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby okrobie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:27 am

P.S. I'd like to join your team. What is it's number?
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:17 pm

There are two separate F@H processes running when the program is active. One is from the CPU, in the background. You really don't know it is active. The second program part is active only when the GPU is idle, and engages the program's screen saver. But pauses whenever the PC is needed by the user.
If the F@H process is installed as auto-start, then no problems with a shut down if an update is done by the OS. The program will shut down properly.. and restart on reboot.
Our team number is 33258. A list of our team members and ranking..
http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/teamstats/team33258.html
An occasional check on status is acceptable, but excessive (daily?) checks can be annoying to the site.
Best plan for any OS updates is to automatically download them, but install them at your convenience.. or at shut down time.

You will get PM privileges after a certain post count. Revised rules about spammers caused some changes.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby okrobie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks! All Set.
Grateful
okrobie
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to Tech Support