Windshield replacement

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windshield replacement

Postby Mark H » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Seems like an easy task, right? Make appt to have cracked glass replaced, go to shop at scheduled time, tech takes truck into bay and I wait. Tech came out after a while and said there might be an issue with some rust. (20 yr old truck) Just surface rust, and install progressed. 2-1/2 hrs later, I paid and left the shop. Got up to 40mph and the hood flew open! Scared the living crap out of me. The tech didn't fully latch the hood. I didn't check the hood because I assumed he knew his job. Moved to the right as far as I could and bungeed the hood till I could get off the 6 lane road. Found a county park just off an intersection, and ratchet strapped the bent hood down, and called the shop manager.
He was there quickly, and after asking if I was all right, he said he was going to make it right. They paid for a rental car, tow to a body shop, and body repair/paint. So far so good.

Body shop didn't get the hood in until Christmas eve. (Boo-Boo happened 12/21.) Picked the truck up New Years eve. Ready for this?

Hood looked good. as good as a 20 year old salvage hood can look. No problem, as I expected that. What I wasn't expecting, was overspray on the new windshield, broken windshield washer nozzle with a "T" fitting missing,(half-assed quickie repair) an almost new wiper arm with the splines almost totally gone, and an almost new MP3 player missing- I know I shouldn't have left it in the truck, don't say it.

Needless to say, Monday morning, me and the glass shop manager are going to have some words.

Not sure yet if I want to name the glass and paint shops. We'll see how Monday goes....
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Windshield replacement

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Wow. Just wow. If they really don't cooperate, you have evidence in photos, call logs etc of their initial boo-boo, you should sue them for endangering you by delivering half-ass work.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:08 am

What I am trying to understand is why they need to touch the hood when replacing a windshield... I have had two replaced and one repaired and was there all three times... I was amazed how quickly the guy did the replacement on his on, he only sat on the drivers seat to kick the old shield out...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 am

Good base for a "comedy of errors"! But really, thank goodness you were not injured or killed.
Does sound a bit involved, having to remove the hood to get the windshield out. Later models did have clearance problems with the hood and windshield, but not so much with older vehicles. Maybe ensuring the rust problem was tended to properly and permanently?
But the issue of the hood opening without warning is serious.
Should we have to inspect and check behind a trained mechanic when work is done?
Paint overspray is a result of poor preparation. No excuse for that!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:58 am

Had to remove the cowl to access the bottom of the windshield. Only way to remove the cowl is to open the hood to access the cowl screws. Bear in mind this is a 20 year old truck.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:50 am

Woman where I work had four new tyres put on 4x4 - not cheap... Two days later one nearly came off - tyre guys had not nipped up the wheel nuts.. Went back to garaqge to complain and was glibly told that it was her job to make sure her car was roadworthy... My view if you car goes into any garage for anything like windscreen, tyres etc, the garage has a duty to make sure it is roadworthy when it leaves - if its not, the fault should be pointed out... I hope they make it right with you and your car...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler