..... And yet another windows 10 malfunction....

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

..... And yet another windows 10 malfunction....

Postby Mr T » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:27 am

Here we go another one....

If you want to 'refresh' your windows 10 installation, under certain circumstances (most) it won't work... Why? Because it looks for a recovery partition and if you are like me and have oem versions updated from windows 7 oem or windows 8 oem, you won't have a recovery partition.

My story goes back to the previous posts with the loss of the start menu button, notifications and finally the loss of windows apps - NO FIX worked.. NONE at all. So lets refresh the system. It refused citing no recovery partition and said boot from DVD/USB and try that.. Simples I thought. Booted from disc, chose recover PC at splash screen, tried refreash and got the nice message that the drive was LOCKED and it couldn't carry out this task.

So spent all afternoon googling fixes - NONE worked at all, NONE at all... In fact the fix about repairing MBR borked my install totally - yeah, so happy.. Lucky I backed most things up (apart from some music... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)...

So a clean install went ahead, took an hour, self activated, back up and running, finally just finished reinstalling my purchased software - M$ Office, NERO amd Malwarebytes doing the usual jumping through hoops of activating them..

Good luck if you need to refreash windows 10 - My advice - get the biggest external hard drive you can afford and put all your photo's, files, videos and downloads and music to that, get the smallest SSD available, 30 to 60Gb is good. Install windows to that, run the minimum amount of software you need on it and if it borks out, dont refreash, clean install .

Hey I've said that before!! (I wished I had listened and not been lazy with backups)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: ..... And yet another windows 10 malfunction....

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:08 am

which reminds me, when was my last backup. I am sorry to see the state of windows 10, it means I will hold out even longer...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: ..... And yet another windows 10 malfunction....

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:45 am

Clean upgrade on customers laptop - windows apps went south, and that was a fresh, clean update....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Operating Systems