Updates and Patches.. excessive?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Updates and Patches.. excessive?

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:02 am

Since reverting back to Win 7 from a failed Win 10 setup almost a week ago, have gotten a scow load of patches and updates. The other day, 77 total. Yesterday, 211 count! The previous 77 did not all go in properly, some had to be reverted.
Normally shut down around midnight, but waited over an hour to let the system finish installing these. Gave up and left the system on, went to bed! Don't want to leave a PC running overnight when abed.
At 9a this morning, only about 85% done. For almost an hour, stuck on #181! If another hour, may have to do a reset and hope to finish.
The Win 7 issue I have includes SP1. For one of the most widely used OS brands, there must have been too many "office parties" that affect the proper development and operation of the Windows OS versions. Unacceptable!

Sorry, had to rant a bit.

Edit:
Waited until 2pm today, still hung on that #181 update. Did a reset, Windows went through an "applying application" and "configuring" session. Then did a revert as some updates were not configured properly?
But at least the system is back in operation, doing the F@H routine. Might be another ugly blob of "updates" tonight!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Updates and Patches.. excessive?

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Well for me I went from Windows XP Pro when it first came out and stayed with it until the bitter end then went straight to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with nothing used in between. That was a huge learning curve for me and still learning and where everything is located. Having used 10 for about a month or so I still don't like it because I see no reason why the engineers at Microsoft had to make it so cluttered with all the different settings where so many things are hard to locate. Navigation within the operating system should have been made more simple. Folks talked about XP and all of its hot fixes and updates, just look at 10 for the short time its been out? I think I read some place that Google will no longer be compatible with XP come March or April.

Don't really have much choice but to move on if I want to stay with Windows.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:21 am

The "nothing is ever perfect" saying applies to almost every product and service. Some come near the ideal right off the line. Others need recalls and repairs or 'patches' and updates. Win XP was one of the better issues, even if it had huge service pack updates and hundreds of singles. But that came about over a few years. Win 10 has had too many updates and patches in its short public use. Something (a lot?) was not configured properly. Perhaps the thought that tablets and smart phones are the chosen venue was wrong. There still is a high number of home PC desktop users, and the small business users. Too drastic a change to the "new thought" of computing and communications.
One main issue with the newer OS versions is encryption security. Staying ahead of hackers and malware purveyors by at least two steps.
I will stay with Win XP for as long as a browser and security suite honor it.
Then, mandated change.. for better or worse.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:08 am

Whenever a new system is getting a fresh dump of windows 7 SP1 it will be getting 300+ patches afterwards from the WSUS server. To give you an idea. When in doubt, reboot, more will show up for sure...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems