2 DVD's on PC can't write, but reading w/o problem....

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

2 DVD's on PC can't write, but reading w/o problem....

Postby GEORGIAN » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi.
I have 3 year old DELL Precision T3600 workstation with original DVD and added BR drive. System was working good during this time.
Recently i decided to add extra HDD(SATA) inside case and modified Power Supply cable by adding extra connection.
And since then (i guess) all my problems started.
Everything was working good but some drivers like "Intel Rapid technology" wasn't working ok and DVD-BR drives couldn't write but reading was good, so i reinstalled OS(Win 10). didn't help.
Dell technician told me to reinstall OS to 7 or 8, i did 8.1 but i have same problem with both DVD and BR drives, can't write DVD media, i have like 20 coasters: Imageburns device buffer isn't filling in and even i have selected writing speed at x8 it burns at x25-30 , after that DVD's are unreadable. Tried DVDFAB also with same results.
Did Firmware update, all kind of utilities for scanning and repairing from DELL and from another vendors but nothing helped.

Maybe you can give me some advise?
Thanks
GEORGIAN
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: 2 DVD's on PC can't write, but reading w/o problem....

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:42 am

Likely the laser lens has a film of contaminates on it. Even in a place with no one smoking, pollutants from cooking and dust/dander can be attracted to the lens. Try a laser lens cleaning disk. Never use any cleaning solution on it, unless provided with the disk. Any solution containing ammonia can permanently cloud the lens!
Adding another hard drive should not upset the BIOS, unless a RAID feature has been activated. It may construe an extra drive as part of an array. Check and turn off the RAID settings if found.
The power leads for optical drives and hard drives are lightly loaded. Should be no noted voltage drops, but do check anyway. Could be a poor connection in one of the added power extensions. Also reset the data ribbons or cables.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 am

Looks like the usual DELL issue, they put a PSU in that fits the components they install. You upgrade or add something and machine fails. Try removing the power and SATA cables to the new hard drive and see if that resolves it. If it does you will have to get a beefier power supply - I am assuming (never assume) the PSU is a DELL 635w!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby GEORGIAN » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Disabling RAID/SATA disables also DVD drives so didn't help. Tried move DVD drive to another rail had no success, failure acures again.
PSU you're saying? Yes but system is working. DELL technical arranged to replace Motherboard and DVD drive, should I ask PSU too?
Heard DELL parts are top stuff and here you go....
GEORGIAN
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:27 pm

If disabling RAID and you loose the DVD drives, then try setting the RAID as 'auto' or 'JBOD' (just a bunch of disks). Possibly you disabled the secondary SATA controller.
Mr T has a good suggestion. Worth a try!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GEORGIAN » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Strange is one of the drives is Blu Ray one and it writes BD media without a problem but DVD's both drives filed, Device buffer isn't filling in.
GEORGIAN
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:44 am

What I am saying is 'depower' the new hard drive, remove the power and signal cable from the drive and remove the added cable from the PSU (again I am assuming the PSU is modular). One of the rules of fault finding is to retrace your steps and disable anything you have previously done to get the setup back to its original state. If the DVD id burning toasters but the BD isn't then try another DVD drive. It is highly unlikely to be the motherboard and more likely to be a c**p DELL PSU or a flaey DVD drive.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby GEORGIAN » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:10 am

Disabled all add on parts but same, probably motherboard and PSU.
GEORGIAN
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GEORGIAN » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:27 am

Dell changed motherboard and now they are working, what a joke, go now and trust them with cheap parts. Probably BIOS chip got corrupted.
Hoping how long gonna last this.
So what's the recommendation?
Don't add anything extra?
GEORGIAN
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:59 am

GEORGIAN wrote:Dell changed motherboard and now they are working, what a joke, go now and trust them with cheap parts. Probably BIOS chip got corrupted.
Hoping how long gonna last this.
So what's the recommendation?
Don't add anything extra?
LOL, just do the opposite of what I say, never though in a million years it would be the mainboard.. Yes that would be my recommendation - don't add anything extra? - it's a DELL... Have a Good Christmas...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Tech Support