Smart Phones

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Smart Phones

Postby c327 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Smart phones have been out for a long time and they all have progressed for the most part as time went on.

Which of the smart phones today are most compatible with Windows home computers operating systems?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Smart Phones

Postby Roach412 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

I've never had any issues with PC connectivity using my android devices. I hate my fiancée's iphone.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Roach412 wrote:I've never had any issues with PC connectivity using my android devices. I hate my fiancée's iphone.

-Roach

Had a Samsung S4 for about 10 days and returned it, just a little to big for me and never had a chance to get to know it, a nice display. Bought an i6 smaller and took that back after a week also because of all the Apple stuff. I do like my iPad though.

Apple coming out with a smaller iPhone (10 months away) but again its Apple.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Have not yet got my hands on one but most likely mine will be a Blackberry Priv. Because it's Android and it's a Blackberry.

As for the most compatible phone for Windows, you'd be looking at a Windows Phone I guess...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:24 am

evasive wrote:Have not yet got my hands on one but most likely mine will be a Blackberry Priv. Because it's Android and it's a Blackberry.

As for the most compatible phone for Windows, you'd be looking at a Windows Phone I guess...

I knew someone would say that :D but your most likely correct
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Got hold of a first release Ubuntu phone. Works fine, connects to windows 10 fine, not quickest, but ok...

Got an Amazon Fire Phone, great phone, but lacks Google Store and certain really useful apps (banking, no banking!). Connects to windows fine...

Got a FireFox phone - fast and reliable, hasn't let me down and connects to windows fine.

And I kept my iphone4S.. I don't think IOS can be beaten as an operating system for phones. All apps are there and it works (well for me any how). But connectivity to windows = c**p having to go through itunes and you certainly pay for it.

I have an old Samsung 830i which I messed about with Android for a bit. Found android buggy, but usable and it connected to windows fine...

I think me next phone will be a (cheap) windows phone for the connectivity and sync across windows (people at work who use them have few issues, even the technical biffs).

What annoys me most is the way they are built which makes fixing them a complete pain especially changing batteries (iphones) and replacing screens (Samsung).. Rant OFF
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 pm

All that I have is a pretty old Nokia 6080, so I have no worries about PC connectivity :oops:
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:53 pm

If considering a new vehicle in the near future, many models have a dash cradle for a smart phone!
It becomes an integrated feature of the vehicle.. and can be a hands-free type of cellular phone.
Check compatibility for other venues.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:16 am

Compatibility will be iPhone or micro-USB for the connectors and whatever the audio manufacturer decided to support. Many of those are i<device> only... I know someone that bought an iPod just for that...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 am

Of my long-term phones, I have had one android based phone, and the rest were iPhone's. The android never was connectable due to the lack of proper cabling. The rest have been a piece of cake, with only one driver corruption.

These days, 99.5% of the charging for the phone comes from the USB port on my pc. .4% from car charger and .1% from AC charger.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler