Ecc or not?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Ecc or not?

Postby asassin' » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:08 am

I've a T3500 that came with 12GB ECC. Adding 12 more would cost about the same as 24 non. Which would you recommend for a folder?
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Re: Ecc or not?

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:48 am

I am confused as Crucial (that usually have their act together quite well) recommends non-ECC RAM _only_
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... tion-t3500

Having said that, I would not mix-n-match memory so just put in ECC modules to match the ones already in there. What is the actual price difference, less than US$100?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby asassin' » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Went to the link, clicked the show all tab & saw 3 X 4GB unbuffered ECC for $153. 24 GB non ECC can be had well within a $100 range. My question was about speed and efficiency vs precision. Back in the day, you could mix as long as you didn't try to run in ECC mode, but it wouldn't surprise me that today it's verboten. On the other hand, 12GB non would save enough to replace an aging raptor with a SSD. That said, it wouldn't hurt much to lean toward precision for science; so ECC it is.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:06 am

ECC type memory is more tolerant of paging errors, and somewhat self-correcting.
Intended for higher accuracy than speed. Not advisable to mix types, as there is extra buffer memory than in the same non-ECC modules.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=323354
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team