windows 10 automatic updates stuck

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

windows 10 automatic updates stuck

Postby c327 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 am

I have Windows 10 Home installed and have been using it for a short while and while looking around the PC to see where things were located I noticed that Windows Updates were available and it said it was downloading but its stuck on 16 % and will not go any further, it looks like its stuck???

Update & Security, Windows Update shows the following:

Updates are available, details progress bar shows downloading updates 16% but its stuck there and not finishing ???? but the rest of the PC is usable ???

Whats wrong ? and how do I fix it? Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: windows 10 automatic updates stuck

Postby c327 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Problem corrected.......
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:07 am

Want to share your findings? May be helpful to others with the same problem.
One possible cause of being 'stuck' was that too many field clients were getting the same download at the same time.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:51 pm

The november bootable iso image (CMT) has been withdrawn so now limited to the july issue and an idiotic amount of updates... Good this is just the initial test, nothing critical... I say it will be a long long time before business users will jump the wagon, if only because their IT depts will refuse to run this stuff. Far from ready for production environments. Sorry.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:09 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Want to share your findings? May be helpful to others with the same problem.
One possible cause of being 'stuck' was that too many field clients were getting the same download at the same time.

Keep in mind this is a brand new HP laptop that was a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home. Plus as we all know these kinds of PC's come pre installed with a lot crapware and unwanted programs that I still have not had a chance to go through and delete as some may be needed to run this PC. Normally I would just wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS but I chose not to do this because I am going through a serious learning curve between XP and Windows 10 and not certain about the various drivers needed.

Well I did a few things and I am not sure which it was that corrected the issue :o Being that it was a new HP PC that came with 8.1 installed that I free upgrade to Windows 10 Home. I first deleted the pre installed Anti Vitus that came with it and made sure Windows Defender was enabled, rebooted. After upgrading to Windows 10 the first thing I wanted to do was to protect the PC so I went to update Windows and that is when it got stuck partly into the download of the updates.

Not knowing what exactly it was that was causing it I downloaded Belarc Advisor (free) CCleaner (free), Super antispyware (free)and Malwarebytes Premium (pay) and installed them and updated all of them. I looked for and found System Restore and disabled it ( Not knowing where to look its hard to find but its there) I ran the three utilities and rebooted after they were completed. I then opened to check for Windows updates again and it said there was an update to Windows 10 Home ??? and it was a huge sized file. I clicked to download & install all the updates and it took a good 1.5 hours on the wife's HP Intel i5 5400 rpm hdd laptop. Apparently there was to much going on with this new PC before and it just got confused in what to do and just stopped updating like it did.

After it finished updating I opened Windows Defender and checked and updated again to make sure I had all the updates. I spent one entire day on both new laptops going through all the various Windows settings and made quite a few setting changes, I also did the same with my Google account. After the entire PC was adjusted, all utilities ran, defragged, and all Windows Systems files etc cleaned up I enabled System Restore and created a new Restore point.

That's what I did. Still on a learning curve with Windows 10. Not being a computer tech guy and after using Windows 10 for just a short while, as an advanced home PC user I can see that Windows 10 is way more complicated to use and is not as straight forward as XP was, but I also see that Windows 10 has more to it be it good or bad and already has its share of hot fixes.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:34 am

evasive wrote:The november bootable iso image (CMT) has been withdrawn so now limited to the july issue and an idiotic amount of updates... Good this is just the initial test, nothing critical... I say it will be a long long time before business users will jump the wagon, if only because their IT depts will refuse to run this stuff. Far from ready for production environments. Sorry.

I have read that Windows XP was still being supported by MS for business use on a pay basis ??? Certainly Windows 10 was not designed for the average home user, its way to complicated and to much of a mystery to navigate through and very intrusive and I don't like it and now Google is getting a little that way also.

Even though there are settings to adjust the size of icons and some of the text there are still some text and icons that one had better have good eyesight to see. I think I see options for setting fonts but I am not going there yet. Right now I have a huge headache because of this.

What I am going with at this point is I am using Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium (pay), Superantispyware (free), CCleaner (free) and Belarc Advisor (free) and have my fingers crossed.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am

c327 wrote:I have read that Windows XP was still being supported by MS for business use on a pay basis ??? Certainly Windows 10 was not designed for the average home user, its way to complicated and to much of a mystery to navigate through and very intrusive and I don't like it and now Google is getting a little that way also.

Even though there are settings to adjust the size of icons and some of the text there are still some text and icons that one had better have good eyesight to see. I think I see options for setting fonts but I am not going there yet. Right now I have a huge headache because of this.

What I am going with at this point is I am using Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium (pay), Superantispyware (free), CCleaner (free) and Belarc Advisor (free) and have my fingers crossed.

yes, you could still have XP support for business - but the costs are insane(even after discounts).

I haven't seen any issue with Win10 being overtly difficult for average users - my mom picked it up pretty quickly after her (slower) conversion into Win8. If anything, it's much easier to find things using the search feature. I've fixed a number of settings which I had no clue where they were located simply by using the basic search for what I was looking for...finds it, gets me there, and done. I think it makes it simpler for novices.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:29 am

until april 2015 $200 per computer, 2016 $400, 2017 not known yet but likely $800...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 am

evasive wrote:until april 2015 $200 per computer, 2016 $400, 2017 not known yet but likely $800...

MS sending a message with that PDT_Armataz_01_27
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:06 am

they're taking note from other support-based vendors(and their own server OS) on aging versions of software/etc.

corporate support for things like Sybase DB's, Windows Servers...etc. get insanely expensive doing those extended support contracts. they're very aggressively pushing people off those, with good reason.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset