Windows 10

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Windows 10

Postby bdub » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:14 am

I, too, rolled back to win7 with the system in my sig. everything about win10 worked ok, but I wanted to get rid of the built in metro apps universally, and when I did that I lost my calculator and the windows store app. looked pretty impossible to get the system installed with the store again.... so that's when the experiment ended.

otherwise it wasn't bad. I didn't like the system settings menu's and slider bars that much. I have a windows8 phone, and don't mind that stuff there. on my desktop though? nope. but otherwise everything worked fine. all my programs went from win7 to win10 fine in the upgrade process. and everything rolled back really fast to win7 again.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:58 pm

I will be running Win 10 on the F@H setup until ready to take a big sledge to it.. passed the time of allowed revert.
There is a 30-day limit on use, if you want to revert to a previous OS version. After that, a complete full install all over again!
So far have disabled or killed off several apps. No use for the "X Box", "Mod Music", "Candy Crunch Saga" and such.
Less "dead meat" overhead. That "One Drive" and "One Cloud" are gone too!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:03 am

"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Re that link about Win 10 complaints..
What was that old adage.. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".
Win 10 may be headed to "sick bay" sooner than planned!
Maybe somebody in that "cloud 10" group thinks everyone else is a do-do as to computer management.

Just a personal opinion..
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 am

Maybe somebody in that "cloud 10" group thinks everyone else is a do-do as to computer management.
Most people are, I work and live with them! Windows 10 is just that, another operating system, no different to any others when it is updated. Personally, I think M$ Windows, no matter what flavour has been poor, but I can see who it is aimed at - the general 'couldn't give a damn as long as it works' masses, I was one once, but I know better. I would ignore the s**t and stick with win10 if you use windows as it is only the foreseeable future A) 'cos at the moment it's free B) it is well supported and C) it is more secure.. You don't know what is going to come next - file less operating system, holographic projection - who knows..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 am

Win 10 messed its pants twice in two days again.. "Error 7" concerning the Nvidia GTX460. Lost about 4 hours of no F@H work when the system froze. And Cortana could not find info on the Web. Hey, I did not call for any info searches!!
And I need an app to do text file editing? WTH?? Win 10 is starting to make Win ME look good!
I had Win 7 "Home Premium", Win 10 degraded that to just "Home". Not a wanted project to revert.
Will see what the recommended link to Nvidia can do about this fiasco.
The Nvidia driver version is 10.18.13.5362, dated 07/22/2015.. by Windows auto-update.

Log Name: Application
Source: NVIDIA OpenGL Driver
Date: 11/21/2015 10:17:03 AM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: P4TWR4
Description:
A TDR has been detected.
The application must close.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rossco4 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:35 am

After 4 failed attempts top make it upgrade, it finally asked me and it went through fine, working how an OS should. I updated last week and got a scare last week when I could only get e-mail and internet from the .exe files in C: (from Win+E). Later that day it applied some updates and back to normal. Working fine now except it gives me the option of using Win Vista too, which has never been on this PC and wont work. I have made a System Image File and Repair disk just in case.
Rossco4
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:33 am

More than two hours wasted today with something that should have been left buried in the dumpster!
Win 10 did a huge overhaul ('security update'?) that took a bit more than an hour. Then I had to reinstall F@H as the "update" killed off part of the F@H program! Lost several days of project work. Not to mention throwing in some more trashy apps I will never use or want. And turned off my AVG firewall, turned on the M$ resident features.
Yesterday, Win 10 did an auto update and restart.. which I set to 'I will choose install time'!
Don't want to, but guess a few stiff shots of some spirits, and start all over with a Win 7 reinstall. Or go with something better than Windows. BAH!!

Edit:
At 1900 hrs. EST, redid some of the reinstall of Win 7. Activated, AVG back in full registered service, GPU drivers and mobo drivers done. Firefox back in. F@H installed and running. Tomorrow may finish. Never again with Win 10.
And while doing the Win 7 install, picked up three nasties.. "mail sign".. quickly banished with AVG!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:59 am

I now have the habit of doing the largest part of installs offline until I have some sort of AV/firewall in place with reasonably recent definition files. It is war out there...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:03 am

Could not just format the "C" partition, even using a Win XP disk. So had to kill off all partitions, start anew.
Was off-line until Win 7 did a first normal boot.. for activation. That is when those "buggers" got in. But the system is clean and safe now. I hope. AVG is configured for daily full scans, and 4-hour updates.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems