Windows 10 & XP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 & XP

Postby c327 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am

Is there a way to set up Windows 10 to look like the Classic Windows in XP ????

Interested in the look of the Folders, Start Menu, and the Control Panel for the most part.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 & XP

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Some themes available here, but no "classic" theme.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/themes
And maybe some more info here.. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 3ff?auth=1
A lot of 'themes' and 'shells' are available, but may not be compatible with Win 10.
Best (and safest) to get a genuine, authorized theme.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:06 am

http://www.howtogeek.com/133405/how-to- ... d=noscript

Important Note: while these themes do work on Windows 10, they don’t play very nice with all the new “Metro” style Universal apps. We would recommend just getting used to the new user interface.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:20 am

I don't know why folks at Microsoft just can't leave things alone. Was XP so bad that it couldn't have been improved and given a new face? Why does it have to be so radically changed and made more difficult to use. Never used W7 or W8.1 so for me to was a big jump. PDT_Armataz_01_27
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 am

c327 wrote:I don't know why folks at Microsoft just can't leave things alone. Was XP so bad that it couldn't have been improved and given a new face? Why does it have to be so radically changed and made more difficult to use. Never used W7 or W8.1 so for me to was a big jump. PDT_Armataz_01_27
XP was very bad towards end of life, really not secure.. When they update the face of the operating system, other things like folder icons etc have to change to fit which is not everybody's cup of tea. M$ also upgrade the file structure (NTFS) to make it more secure, esp for data recovery - massive jigsaw, everything has to fit. However stuff says the same - you still have C, D etc drive, My Computer still exists as does Control Panel, Device manager and the like..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:37 am

c327 wrote:I don't know why folks at Microsoft just can't leave things alone. Was XP so bad that it couldn't have been improved and given a new face? Why does it have to be so radically changed and made more difficult to use. Never used W7 or W8.1 so for me to was a big jump. PDT_Armataz_01_27

Because the end-user wants it. In this case anyway they have been asking for feedback much more than with windows 7/8.1 so you be glad you skipped those. The classic GUI you're asking about is the original windows 2000 GUI, so not XP even. That may be the reason M$ ditched it after 15 years...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 am

evasive wrote:

Because the end-user wants it. In this case anyway they have been asking for feedback much more than with windows 7/8.1 so you be glad you skipped those. The classic GUI you're asking about is the original windows 2000 GUI, so not XP even. That may be the reason M$ ditched it after 15 years...

Yeah I guess. I was a late bloomer when it comes to having a PC, I was just to busy at my job and didn't have time or the need for it. I got my feet wet with Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, ME (#??&&*&$# PDT_Armataz_01_27 PDT_Armataz_01_14 PDT_Armataz_01_02 PDT_Armataz_01_05 @#@) XP Pro then a big gap and jump to Windows 10 Pro x64. Still have a flip phone :o

Used XP for as long as I could. Windows 10 is a horse of a different color that I just have to accept and move on.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Operating Systems