Anti Virus & Malware Utilities & Windows 10

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Anti Virus & Malware Utilities & Windows 10

Postby c327 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:21 am

My self like a lot of folks I guess who switched from XP to Windows 10 now have to learn how to use it and how to protect their PC from all the different type of nasties that we have been on the watch for over the years.

I'm just starting out with my learning trip which probably will be more difficult for me because I went from XP right to Windows 10 Pro 64bit with having never used those operating systems that are between them.

Windows 10 has been out retail now for 1 month and in looking at various utilities like AVG & Malwarebytes I don't see any options for me to use any of them listed ? Does Windows 10 Pro 64bit require any of them? I just don't know.

So knowing that I don't knowingly use poor or risky PC use how do I go about protecting a PC that is now using Windows 10 Pro 64bit ? I would like to stay with free utilities if possible only because they have worked pretty well for me over the years. If I have to pay I will.

Thanks all
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Anti Virus & Malware Utilities & Windows 10

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:13 am

Windows only provides a firewall program. And a minimal anti virus shield (MS Essentials). It is best to purchase a top-rated brand of antivirus and firewall program, which have more features and protection than 'freeware'. But get any program directly from the parent source, not a third-party link which may contain unwanted add-ons or malware!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:32 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:58 am

I looked at the links you provided here thanks, but in reading them I didn't see where they protect against Ransomware? Is there more there than what I read or did I miss something there?

I saw PC Matic's advertisement today on TV and they specifically said they protect against Ransomware but PC Matic does not get good reviews here it seems?

Windows 10 has been out retail for a month and a half and has been out much longer in beta form for testing. It seems the popular PC Nastyware utility company's have been lagging in offering up to date protection against some of the most damaging nasties out there.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:37 am

I have not used an AV with windows apart from MS Security Essentials when that arrived. I purchased malwarebytes pro for 3 PC's and use the free version on other PC's. No nasties yet, apart from the Smitfraud episode, but that was entirely my fault. In my view, be happy with using security essentials, add malwarebytes and just be careful - don't use edge yet, use FF or Google as a browser.. I tested Windows 8 and 10 tying to get viruses from certain sites and didn't sensibility and using FF did that...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security