Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby c327 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 pm

This concerns a custom built by me desktop PC back in November 2009 running XP Pro 32 bit. I was wondering if Windows 10 64 bit will run on it. I downloaded a utility from Microsoft that will check the PC but it will not work on an XP machine.

This what I have:

Built - November 2009
Case - Lian-Li
MOBO - Intel DP55KG LGA 1156 133MHz
Memory - Crucial 4GB Kit 2X2GB DDR3 PC3 -10600
BIOS Updated - 3878
CPU - Intel i7-860 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
HDD - Seagate ST500DM002 7200rpm 500GB
DVD/CD Burner - Plextor PX-880SA-26
PSU - Enermax EIN 720AWT 720W
Graphics Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 16 256 bit
Sound Card - Creative SB Audigy 2ZS (WDM)
O.S. - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Printer - HP 960c (maybe)
Scanner - HP 5470c (Told No)

Note:

Would there be a better and faster 7200 rpm HDD that I could use?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4387
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 pm

the CPU and the motherboard can run windows 10. memory is on the low side.

the other stuff I will try and track through other sources as this part of MS has gone TITSUP (totally incapable of supporting usual performance).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... rror/Index
We’re sorry. Searching and browsing for products in the Windows Compatibility Center is temporarily unavailable. Please try your search/browse again later.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
********************************
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 37389
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 12:01 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

the audigy 2ZS is supported by MS drivers. Creative is not having windows 10 drivers. During installation it should be picked up by windows itself. If not, time for a new card.
the HD4870 is reported to have insomnia (cannot be put in sleep mode properly) when using windows drivers. You will need to go through a few hoops to make it work in windows 10, but it seems feasable: https://community.amd.com/thread/184724

the other stuff is runn-off-the-mill standard hardware that should just work. As for a faster piece of spinning rust, you may want to consider putting an SSD in there if you want to see real performance gain. Otherwise no matter what disk you use, it will feel slower than what you have now.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
********************************
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 37389
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 12:01 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby Mr T » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 pm

c327 wrote:This concerns a custom built by me desktop PC back in November 2009 running XP Pro 32 bit. I was wondering if Windows 10 64 bit will run on it. I downloaded a utility from Microsoft that will check the PC but it will not work on an XP machine.

This what I have:

Built - November 2009
Case - Lian-Li
MOBO - Intel DP55KG LGA 1156 133MHz
Memory - Crucial 4GB Kit 2X2GB DDR3 PC3 -10600
BIOS Updated - 3878
CPU - Intel i7-860 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
HDD - Seagate ST500DM002 7200rpm 500GB
DVD/CD Burner - Plextor PX-880SA-26
PSU - Enermax EIN 720AWT 720W
Graphics Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 16 256 bit
Sound Card - Creative SB Audigy 2ZS (WDM)
O.S. - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Printer - HP 960c (maybe)
Scanner - HP 5470c (Told No)

Note:

Would there be a better and faster 7200 rpm HDD that I could use?
Yes, I have updated a laptop CPU- Core2Duo T5550 running @1.6Ghz with 2Gb's of RAm and a 5400rpm 500Gb hard drive - runs quicker than the win 7 I installed on it. It also picked up everything - in fact I have updated at least 10 of my systems now with differing hardware with no issue so far. On my main setup I have creative USB speakers - they where picked up and installed straight away...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master
 
Posts: 17085
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:03 am
Location: England

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby c327 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 am

Mr T wrote:
c327 wrote:This concerns a custom built by me desktop PC back in November 2009 running XP Pro 32 bit. I was wondering if Windows 10 64 bit will run on it. I downloaded a utility from Microsoft that will check the PC but it will not work on an XP machine.

This what I have:

Built - November 2009
Case - Lian-Li
MOBO - Intel DP55KG LGA 1156 133MHz
Memory - Crucial 4GB Kit 2X2GB DDR3 PC3 -10600
BIOS Updated - 3878
CPU - Intel i7-860 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
HDD - Seagate ST500DM002 7200rpm 500GB
DVD/CD Burner - Plextor PX-880SA-26
PSU - Enermax EIN 720AWT 720W
Graphics Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 16 256 bit
Sound Card - Creative SB Audigy 2ZS (WDM)
O.S. - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Printer - HP 960c (maybe)
Scanner - HP 5470c (Told No)

Note:

Would there be a better and faster 7200 rpm HDD that I could use?
Yes, I have updated a laptop CPU- Core2Duo T5550 running @1.6Ghz with 2Gb's of RAm and a 5400rpm 500Gb hard drive - runs quicker than the win 7 I installed on it. It also picked up everything - in fact I have updated at least 10 of my systems now with differing hardware with no issue so far. On my main setup I have creative USB speakers - they where picked up and installed straight away...


Hi Mr. T

Interesting you mention a laptop.

That was going to be my next question as I have 2 PCs that need to be updated if they can be without breaking the bank.

My laptop is an 8 year old Sager NP2096 COMPAL JHL90 that has an Intel CPU Centrino 2 and an NVIDIA graphics.

What it has:
MV C2D T9600 2.80 GHz 6mb 1066
4096mb DDR2 800 2- DIMMS
Intel WI-FI Link 5300 AGN
NVIDIA Graphics

My question is:

Can I install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on this PC and will it all work?

I have contacted Sager and they say they don't know because they no longer have this model there which may be correct but I would think they should still know?

Today I emailed COMPAL in Taiwan I think it was and in California asking the same questions but I don't expect a reply from them, so here I am.

The thing is this PC was on the expensive side and still works great just has an old XP Pro 32 bit O.S. on it.

On another note:

I did purchase another Laptop from Sager recently but a Clevo that has Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I am wondering if I made one big mistake. I also just purchased a new all in one H.P. scanner, printer, fax that will support Windows 10 but I still would like to use my self made desktop and older Laptop if I can.

Thanks for any additional help from you and others here.............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4387
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby Mr T » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:40 am

What it has:
MV C2D T9600 2.80 GHz 6mb 1066
4096mb DDR2 800 2- DIMMS
Intel WI-FI Link 5300 AGN
NVIDIA Graphics

My question is:

Can I install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on this PC and will it all work?
It should do, I have installed it on a laptop with a C2D T7500 and a nvidia 8600GM and it works fine, windows 10 will put in a generic driver for the old video card, but I tested it with blu ray playback and it worked!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master
 
Posts: 17085
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:03 am
Location: England

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby c327 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Mr T wrote:
What it has:
MV C2D T9600 2.80 GHz 6mb 1066
4096mb DDR2 800 2- DIMMS
Intel WI-FI Link 5300 AGN
NVIDIA Graphics

My question is:

Can I install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on this PC and will it all work?
It should do, I have installed it on a laptop with a C2D T7500 and a nvidia 8600GM and it works fine, windows 10 will put in a generic driver for the old video card, but I tested it with blu ray playback and it worked!


OK thank you. You do understand that I am talking about a 64 bit Windows 10 going on a laptop that has 32 bit XP Pro on it so I assume the CPU and everything else is 32 bit also ????

Also I think you said my retail version of Windows 10 can be used on more than one computer is that correct?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4387
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby Mr T » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Your CPU specs... If you look at the instruction set it is 64bit which means its a 64bit CPU so will run windows 10 64bit...

Also I think you said my retail version of Windows 10 can be used on more than one computer is that correct?
I though you might say that so I will clarify that... If the PC/ laptop dies beyond repair and you have a retail version of windows (10 in this case) then you can use the licence on a new laptop PC which you have purchased to replace the old.. If the laptop running windows (10) is fine and working, you cannot use the licence and activate on a new PC unless you take it off the old one. This is the difference between retail and OEM - an OEM licence dies with the PC when that PC dies, and that is even more so now as windows 10 uses your hardware as a fingerprint (unique profile) rather than a licence key. ALL the upgraded versions of windows 10 use the same licence key, the SAME hardware profile is required for activation WITHOUT a phone call to M$...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master
 
Posts: 17085
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:03 am
Location: England

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby c327 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Mr T wrote:Your CPU specs... If you look at the instruction set it is 64bit which means its a 64bit CPU so will run windows 10 64bit...

Also I think you said my retail version of Windows 10 can be used on more than one computer is that correct?
I though you might say that so I will clarify that... If the PC/ laptop dies beyond repair and you have a retail version of windows (10 in this case) then you can use the licence on a new laptop PC which you have purchased to replace the old.. If the laptop running windows (10) is fine and working, you cannot use the licence and activate on a new PC unless you take it off the old one. This is the difference between retail and OEM - an OEM licence dies with the PC when that PC dies, and that is even more so now as windows 10 uses your hardware as a fingerprint (unique profile) rather than a licence key. ALL the upgraded versions of windows 10 use the same licence key, the SAME hardware profile is required for activation WITHOUT a phone call to M$...


After going back and forth with Sager who was of no help to me other than getting me aggravated more that I already was I figured that even though some of the hardware was compatible including the CPU's and even though I may have been able to update the hardware and software drivers after was all was said and done I would still end up with two old computers even thought they still worked fine. So I might as well move on to the next O.S. which for me is Windows 10.

My current PC's with XP Pro SP3 will have to be kept as stand-by's. If I have to reload XP I will not be able to get the million hot fix's updates.

I believe I have read that Microsoft still offers commercial XP users updates but for pay ???
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4387
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Will Windows 10 Run On This PC ???

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:29 am

$400 per year now. it was $200 the 1st year.

as for getting updates, there was offline wsus so there should be collections of downloaded updates left and right, at some point they will surface. however, instead of trying to put the old windows on life support, why not go for a fresh release of one of the linuxes that are a lot easier to install and maintain nowadays?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
********************************
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 37389
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 12:01 am
Location: Netherlands

Next

Return to Operating Systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron