Windows updates

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows updates

Postby Norman Castle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Is there a way to download updates to a folder on my computer, and keep them?

So if I have to re-install windows, I've already got all the updates on disk. I can just install them from my folder, without having to download them all again.

(I'm currently using Vista, but I'm sure the answer will apply to other OS versions)
Norman Castle
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Windows updates

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Windows updates are sent in a specific form for the OS to use. There will be many 'uninstall' folders in the Windows parent directory. There will be a specific ID for each update file, such as "KB890830*.*" which is the Malicious Software Removal Tool update, sent monthly. You could manually get each update file with its unique ID string. But if you ever have to reinstall, best to allow MS to send needed updates to the OS as required. Some may have been coded different than older ones, and an automated uninstall/install process is done.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows updates

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 am

There is offline WSUS http://www.wsusoffline.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems