Advice for setup of a Supermicro Xeon board

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Advice for setup of a Supermicro Xeon board

Postby loninappleton » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:46 am

Xeon chips can be found at a bargain-- almost making a Xeon board attractive.
There are many Dell Xeon server boards for resale but I've looked at one from Supermicro
since it has all the needed parts such as the setup disk.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... /X7DWE.cfm

Is anyone using a Xeon for home/personal application?

Any problems just getting Windows 7 installed?

Plus I noticed that ECC memory is ... what?.... required or an option?

And most important: if it's running two Xeon cpus at 3 Ghz base, no overclock what kind of performance increase for single threaded apps particularly for audio can one expect over an AMD 3 core Phenom (older model) at 2.1Ghz?

Again, I'd like to hear from users of the Supermicro line with an emphasis on the kind
of calculating power for the job described above. I also work with some video.
loninappleton
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Advice for setup of a Supermicro Xeon board

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
The Xenon series is geared more toward server use, but still a good performer. Best to run "stock" with CPU speed.
The more CPU cores in use, the higher the data crunching rate.
As to ECC memory, it is intended for code error self-correcting. Not required, but preferred. Accuracy is preferred over speed.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:17 am

An E5450 will take out the X4 965 BE so I guess it will eat your phenom for lunch...

There's driver downloads listed for windows 7 so that will work fine.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby loninappleton » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:45 am

I'm concerned about not being able to find an installer disk for a used board.
My DDR ram sticks I can roll over into a different board for this Xeon (or two)

Though I've done a suite of upgrades for my old Biostar AMD board
I'd hate to be in the position of klugey-ing an installation or outright fail altogether.

Then there's the power supply issue. I have an unused ATX PS to use. Are the hookups for a Xeon boards the same?

As to performance, I can run the comparisons for cpus which CPU World.com can generate
just to see what that looks like.

Thanks for continuing the discussion.
loninappleton
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby loninappleton » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 am

The comparison chart shows improvement with the Xeon but not the dramatic
difference you suggest.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/823/AM ... E5450.html

The number crunching job I was doing for audio took 30 minutes for the Phenom shown.
Admittedly it was for two hours and 26 mins-- a live stage play.

If I went to make a new build and only got the time down to 20 minutes
I might as well stick with what I have and save up my pennies for an i5 and Asus board
which would be in the current market and have some video features like HDMI etc.

I've been expecting the old Biostar MCP6PB M2+ to give it up but it still hangs together.

Any opinions on the comparison charts?
loninappleton
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:45 pm

The E5450 has about 8 times the L2 cache memory compared to the X4 965 BE. The L2 cache is where instruction sets are held, for data processes. The higher amount of cache memory, the fewer returns to the program for new instruction sets.
Likely the power connection is identical with other ATX type motherboards.. 24 pin, plus additional Molex power socket.
There is a listing at New Egg with images, but 'out of stock'.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813182153
If you get the manual for the Xeon board, there would be a diagram of all sockets and connectors.
Would not be wrong to have a 1 KW PSU model, considering extra drives and cooling needs. Better regulation.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby loninappleton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks for all your help and insight.

What I may do is get a couple of those $2.50 Xeon pulls that are out there in bulk
and buy and hold for the right motherboard deal.

The ol' Biostar is still chugging along but it doesn't have the SATAS I now need.

One last question: if HDMI became necessary for me to get a new screen (I still run a 19 in
tube screen from KDS) a vid card will likely be necessary. The Biostar has video on board and
I've never needed more than that. What is a compatible entry level card w2ith HDMI output for a Xeon
board such one from Supermicro or Starmicro..
loninappleton
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:44 am

I would not buy any used CPU unless it had a warranty that it was tested and is 100% functional.
And not altered in any way. But some offers are true bargains.
If you have need for SATA features, a PCI or PCI-E add in card should fill most needs. Just set its IRQ/DMA as 'secondary'.
There should be no problems with advancing to a flat screen display. The OS may want to find drivers, but if set as 'default', should be 100% compatible. Some CRT monitors can go up to 120 HZ refresh rate, where most LCD monitors cap out at around 90 HZ. VGA video is analog. The conversion from digital to analog degrades image quality a bit. Going with DVI retains the pure digital format. HDMI is further advanced, and can go beyond 100 HZ in refresh rate.
Windows likes to optimize every feature, even if it does not work. Set refresh rate of a monitor at what is best for your needs. A PCI-E video card of 512 MB should fill most needs, but a 1 GB video card would be good for gaming and video editing. Ensure the PSU has the wattage and required power leads to mate with feature needs.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby loninappleton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:46 am

It makes sense not to buy without warranty. But by altering are you saying that overclocking
or other tinkering make the $2.50 cpus not much more than sand?

Ebay has the items and the reputation of the seller looks good. That's all I really know.
None of this is critical for a business and would in the frame of an experiment: how much
calculating juice can I get for how little.

That's why I mentioned buy and hold in lieu of some motherboard deal not showing right now.
loninappleton
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:18 pm

Over-clocking a CPU is not a bad process.. as long as it is done properly, and other factors are compliant to the faster speed. Some retailers just do "pulls" and no testing of components to ensure they are working as specified.
Noting the statement "tested and working properly with warranty" is a safer bet.
Salvaging the gold plating from pins is tedious and hazardous, with little profit.
A lot of CPU types are 'obsolete' in a sense.. not having the compliance to work with newer OS requirements.
64-bit operation is the present trend. 32-bit CPU varieties cannot work that field properly.
An old adage from farmers.. "Get a horse that can pull the wagon."
In reference, get the motherboard first.. then components to match.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems