Brand Names that became almost product names

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Brand Names that became almost product names

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:15 am

I´m no sure if the title is rigth, but for example here in Cuba must of the old people refers to a refrigerator as a "Frigidaire" being perhaps the first refrigerator brand that came here

another example all the utilitaries 4x4 vehicles are called "Yipi" after, of course, the famous Jeep
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Brand Names that became almost product names

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 am

Frigidaire was indeed a product name, became popular in the early 1900s and almost every refrigerator was called by the name, shortened to "fridge".
Originally a commercial product from the Guardian Frigerator Company, later acquired by General Motors Corp.
Kelvinator, Servel and Westinghouse were other early brands, as was one of the first 'public' refrigerators by General Electric known as the "monitor top" due to the refrigeration machinery being on the top of the cabinet like a huge Derby hat! Problem was, many early refrigerators used an ammonia gas as the refrigerant. One brand (Servel) was intended for rural use where there was no electricity.. a propane or natural gas flame boiled the refrigerant into a gas, which then circulated to a condenser coil and then to the evaporator coil where it did its cooling work.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:57 am

You are rigth and believe or not I know people living in the still unelectrified areas here that have thos kerosene refrigerators still cooling!!! in that era things were made for last, now things are almost disposable.

here are still a lot of sovietic electrodomestics and cars still working, high consumers but long lasting equipment
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ATrebeau » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:54 am

COKE may well be a brand name on it's own but when I lived in Texas (moved there, not born n raised), COKE was used by many to stand for all manner of sodas...kinda'sorta. I was so embarrassed when it had to be explained to me at my first real Texas bbq get'together at a friend's ranch. His daughter asked me what kind of COKE I wanted. I simply answered that a regular COKE would be fine; ie, meaning I do not do diet soft drinks. She then went onto inform me that they had orange COKE, grape COKE, and so on. I can't remember the term used for Sprite or the like, it might have been "clear" or "white." Of course, in Texas, Dr. Pepper IS Dr. Pepper, not Dr. Pepper COKE. Oh, almost forgot...they did also list Pepsi COKE. hahaha I got a real kick outa' that one, although the marketing department at Pepsi wouldn't have appreciated the humor in it.
AMD 940 | Abit AN78GS | 4GB GSkill 1066| EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC | Corsair VX550 | Sunbeam CCC | Antec 300

i7-980X | GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0) | Corsair D GT DDR3-2000 6GB | MSI GTX 480 | Corsair 750W | True Black | CM Storm Sniper
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 am

another one, here any door locker that is not the knob type is called a "Yale" after the door lockers manufacturer of that name
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to The Water Cooler