Trivia time!

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Trivia time!

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Older analog TV standards did not have enough bandwidth to carry all three color spectrum info, plus video and matrix audio.
So a 360° "pie" was created of the three basic colors. Two color spectrum info signals were sent, and the sum difference was created in the TV circuit. The two sent signals were carried in a "time pipe" or delay line, and all three signals merged at the proper instant for a complete image scan.
Oldest models had a paper tube, about 1/2" diameter and about 6" long, wound with fine wire as the delay line. Newer models used a synthesizer that was offset by a few microseconds.

I have never seen a paper tube but I do remember seeing the clear plastic tubes in late 60s/early 70s models. I was kind of surprised to see what they were for when getting a bit into the technique of television...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:36 am

The earliest ones I saw were resin-impregnated two-layer paper tubes, which did have some strength. And light weight. The logistics for making that delay line were complicated. Proper gauge and length of wound wire, so all three signals converged exactly. The later models were of phenolic or plastic tube. Then integrated circuits. Try to find a really old model today!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:51 am

"Miner's Tea was what root beer is today. Back in the mid-1800s, Charles Hires developed a mix of berries, herbs and roots, which made a great tasting beverage that refreshed one's activity and outlook. Similar to today's energy drinks.
In the late 1800s, he offered the beverage as a carbonated product in bottles. The brand "Dad's Root Beer" once sold concentrate root beer in 2 oz. bottles that could make almost two quarts of beverage.
Then too, the brand Log Cabin® maple syrup was available in a tin container like a small log cabin! Ah, those magical 1950s.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 am

Mark Twain.. many associate that as an alias of Samuel Clemens, an author (1835-1910). But Clemens took the "Mark Twain" name from working on barges while on the Mississippi River. It was critical to stay in the deeper channels, to avoid running aground on sand bars. A rope knotted at every six feet (length of a fathom) was tossed over board at the bow, to check depth. The word "twain" was used when the second knot submerged, indicating desired channel depth. Many ship mates used "mark twain" to get the message across that travel was safe.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm

One of my favorite writers!!!
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Story Pole: Is it a form of Totem pole, or what? Where is it most popular?

A "story pole" is a length of wood, usually 1" by 3", about 8 ft. or 10 ft long. Marks and notes are made on it, for reference to quick checks when installing wall framing or siding. Quicker and easier than using a measuring tape constantly.
Also known as a "Storey Pole" or "Jury Stick".. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey_pole
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Hard drive data storage has been around for many years. What was the physical size of the first hard drive, and how much data did it hold? When was the first hard drive invented?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 am

As far as I know HDD will be 60 YO in 2016!! I´d read on some place that the very first one holds 1 MB data ONLY!

the first I used was 10 MB and costs 1000 USD !!! was 5 1/2 inch in size and a PCI controller card appart from the disk

the first IDE i used was 85 MB
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:31 pm

The first hard drive to be developed was in 1953, by IBM corporation. It was in a huge cabinet, the size of two office desks.. stacked! There were fifty 24 in. oxide-coated metallic disks, which could hold up to 3.75 MB total. Back then, 6-bit characters were in use. It was officially named "IBM 305 RAMAC".
Late in 1968, hard drives were available to the public with 5 MB and up to 20 MB storage, in the 5.25" 'standard' at that time.
And there was the "hard card" by Quantum, which could have up to 80 megs of storage. It plugged into an ISA card slot.
In the late 1980s, you might purchase a 3.5" SCSI hard drive with 200 megs of storage for about $300.00 USD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... isk_drives
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Anyone ever use a "Peavey"? Or a "Dibble"? What purpose does a "snath" have?

A "Peavey" is a logging tool. About 4 ft. long, sharp long spike at the working end. And has a big curved hook. Used to roll logs with little effort.
A "Dibble" is a gardener's tool used for making seed or sprout holes when planting. About a foot long, with a curved or D-shaped handle. Commonly has a metal coned business end.
A "snath" is the handle part of a scythe, commonly used for harvesting hay.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler