mac osx snow leopard

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

mac osx snow leopard

Postby poundu1 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Just purchased used macbook pro 13" model A-1278 2.4 core 2 duo 4 gig DDR3 RAM 250 gig HDD. Everything is stock except the RAM upgrade
this laptop came without installed o/s as the previous owner just wiped the disk. It came with the original box that included the o/s disk 10.5 Leopard.
I successfully installed it and the system fully functioned. My son wants to use Google chrome which cannot be run with Leopard. The apple.com also doesn't support this older o/s.
I have the new Install disk snow leopard 10.6.3. I tried to install over the old o/s it ran to %98 complete gave me an error occurred when trying to install.
Next I tried the disk utility erased disk verified and tried to rus snow leopard and got the same error.
crispr edit
poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: mac osx snow leopard

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 am

An Apple OS is not the same as a Windows OS. Different needs and functions with many programs.
Safari, Camino and Opera are favored over Firefox and others.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/23 ... 0&tstart=0
Just "wiping" a hard drive will not remove all files, as OS and system files have attributes to preserve them. The attributes could be removed manually, but best is to do the Fdisk routine and delete any existing partitions.. then shut down with none formed, restart and create as needed. Then do a 'wipe' or format.
Common attributes for X86 computer files and folders.. Apple uses a different formula:
/a = archived; /h = hidden; /r = read only; /s = system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

solved

Postby poundu1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am

Must have made a mistake when trying erase and installing snow leopard. Because then I erased and installed Leopard without issue. Then I soft updated, and tried to install snow leopard from the New install disc and that didn't work. So when I wiped again I was able to install snow leopard. The lesson for me once again is never do things your not familiar with while tired. A good nights sleep resets the human o/s
crispr edit
poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: mac osx snow leopard

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and the advise. I don't know what the previous owner did exactly but it sounds like there was an even newer OS in there and it wasn't properly wiped off so naturally an upgrade install would fail. There are a few places with logs on OSX just like the eventvwr logs in windows, they can help next time you try something like this. If interested I can retrieve and list those locations and how to read them.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems