Is this something to worry about...

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is this something to worry about...

Postby rascard2007 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:03 am

from pcworld.com:

Leaving unpowered SSDs in a warm room can kill your data fast

If you’ve got an unused computer with solid state storage inside, you might want to back up its data before too long.

A new research presentation shows that solid state drives can lose data over time if they aren’t powered on, especially in warmer environments. A powered-off drive in 104 degrees Fahrenheit may start seeing data loss after a couple of weeks.

The information comes from Seagate’s Alvin Cox, who was part of a presentation to the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC). Though the presentation is a couple of months old, it was recently picked up by ZDNet, Slashdot and other sites.

Cox’s presentation shows basic performance requirements for both consumer and enterprise SSDs. It notes that consumer SSDs, when powered-off in 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius), should retain data for about a year. Bumping up the temperature by 9 degrees Fahrenheit (5 degrees Celsius) reduces the time of data retention by half. Store your SSD in 131 degree heat, and it might start losing data after a couple of days.
ssd temp data retention JEDEC

We’re in the process of digging into this more, but a comment on Slashdot notes that these figures are merely what JEDEC requires. It’s entirely possible that a good SSD will fare better, even in warm weather.

The impact on you: In reality, there’s probably not much risk to your primary computer unless you leave it in excessively high heat, in which case you may have other problems to address. But as more devices come with solid state storage as the standard, you may end up with some older computers whose data will deteriorate after a couple years' neglect. Consider this your routine reminder to back things up—preferably to a mechanical hard drive.

full article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2920727/ ... -fast.html

personally I don´t trust to much in SSD´s... yet

and here working around 90+ °F it could be a problem...
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Is this something to worry about...

Postby Roach412 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:05 am

but...how often/long do you leave it unpowered? while my machine is in my basement, which maintains a 58-62 degree temperature when not in-use, it's still at least powered almost 95% of the time...i never allow the drives' power to be shut down in my power management.

if you don't use your computer for multiple days/weeks at a time, i would start to argue you don't really need an SSD.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:18 am

MAny thanks

In a matter of facts I don´t have any ssd, there are still out of my budge I was only looking for some info for the future

my main PC at home is On around 18 hrs a day, and in that time the hdds never power off
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 pm

SSD's have become remarkably affordable in the last few months. what was well beyond what i was willing to pay on a 256gb drive, is now the pricing for a 512gb one...

i don't store anything really "must save" on my main machine - as it's primarily for playing games. so, i'm not concerned about reliability/recoverability at this point. once i get to home serving a media center via NAS and such, i'll have a more permanent backup solution with which to utilize. until then, i'd recommend a smallish(at this point even a 256gb) drive for your OS and heavy-use programs. stuff everything else on a larger standard mechanical.

my future ideal use would most likely be the following:
256gb primary SSD w/ OS and a few primary installations
secondary 512gb SSD for games/etc.
2+tb on standard spinning drive(s) for local backup
variable-size NAS RAID localized remote backups w/ media(still on-site in my house)
potentially full remote-site backup of critical/important data(taxes, legal stuff, etc) on cloud service

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 20, 2015 5:01 pm

May be some truth in the "rumor mill" about loss of data on an SSD due to high heat..
http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/tech-new ... etain-data
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler