Internet DSL Speed

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Internet DSL Speed

Postby c327 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I was checking my internet DSL 6.0 speed using two different web utilities and got two different results one of which was 20% slower than the other. Which is most accurate? What gives with this ?????

DOWNLOAD TEST

Speedtest.net 5.2 mbps

Speakeasy.com 4.1 mbps
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Internet DSL Speed

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:13 pm

A lot depends on traffic at the time of testing, as well as distance to the testing source.. the Telco switching center.
The longer the distance to your source, the slower the speed.
It is 99% hard-wire connections to the Telco center from most locations. Some are lucky to have fiber-optics to within 1 mile or less of their location.
All data is sent in "packets", similar to the older dial-up method. A packet is sent, then an echo is returned to verify full packet reception. If not a good packet, a 'resend' is called for.
But you make me jealous, with your 4.1 Mbps level!
For me, only 50 miles to NYC, I have .95 Mbps DL and .43 Mbps UL speed.
To Seattle WA, .95 DL and.42 UL speed.
Around this area, the "Big V" Telco is not very speedy. And only about 10 miles to the Telco switching center.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 am

Karlsweldt wrote:A lot depends on traffic at the time of testing, as well as distance to the testing source.. the Telco switching center.
The longer the distance to your source, the slower the speed.
It is 99% hard-wire connections to the Telco center from most locations. Some are lucky to have fiber-optics to within 1 mile or less of their location.
All data is sent in "packets", similar to the older dial-up method. A packet is sent, then an echo is returned to verify full packet reception. If not a good packet, a 'resend' is called for.
But you make me jealous, with your 4.1 Mbps level!
For me, only 50 miles to NYC, I have .95 Mbps DL and .43 Mbps UL speed.
To Seattle WA, .95 DL and.42 UL speed.
Around this area, the "Big V" Telco is not very speedy. And only about 10 miles to the Telco switching center.

I'm not sure what I am seeing is correct? Why is there such a difference between upload and download speeds?

Also If a speed test shows download as being low (1.40 Mbps) and then I reset the router and it then another test shows it at 5.1Mbps is that an indication that the router is defective?

speedtest.net shows:

Ping 26ms
Download 5.56
Upload .44
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:48 pm

What DSL speed is actually provided by your ISP? If within 90% of that, a good service.
Some areas like cities have most communications and power lines underground. That can attenuate service speed.
Where wires and such are above ground, there is less attenuation.. unless a severe storm is in the area.
A lot of factors affect DSL or other communication speeds.. traffic, shielding, extraneous RFI or EMF interference.
If you are testing one connection while another system is on the same line, speed will be lower than if only that system.
Try a test late at night, like 11 pm when most people are off the Web. Then compare to what the speed is around 9 am or 10 am. The difference is traffic effect. Then too, if connections of the telephone wires or CATV have even moderate corrosion, that can affect data speed.
Not likely your modem is defective. If you have wireless active, someone may be "riding" your signal without your approval.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/bro ... speed.html
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:44 am

Karlsweldt wrote:What DSL speed is actually provided by your ISP? If within 90% of that, a good service.
Some areas like cities have most communications and power lines underground. That can attenuate service speed.
Where wires and such are above ground, there is less attenuation.. unless a severe storm is in the area.
A lot of factors affect DSL or other communication speeds.. traffic, shielding, extraneous RFI or EMF interference.
If you are testing one connection while another system is on the same line, speed will be lower than if only that system.
Try a test late at night, like 11 pm when most people are off the Web. Then compare to what the speed is around 9 am or 10 am. The difference is traffic effect. Then too, if connections of the telephone wires or CATV have even moderate corrosion, that can affect data speed.
Not likely your modem is defective. If you have wireless active, someone may be "riding" your signal without your approval.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/bro ... speed.html

I have been signed up for 6.0 DSL service for a few years. It was just the other day I noticed that the web pages took for ever to load. I contacted ATT and they asked if I had ever reset the router/modem (unplug it and then plug it back in) I said no. Since I have reset it the download speed has been constant day or night in the 5.5 Mbps range but the upload is also steady in the .41 Mbps range.

Router/Modem Information:

ATT Model 7550 (Netgear) Model B90-755025-15 ADSL2+ROUTER
Security Setting - WPA2-PSK (AES)

AS far as someone riding my signal I don't know about that. My wireless network is showing that its locked down? If there is more to that I am un aware of what it is or what to do about checking it.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 am

If your wireless setup is 'locked down', should be secure. For any home wireless network, listing the IP address of each user and having a unique password is a requirement. Otherwise, anyone within range can "ride free" and degrade your service.. or in a worst case incident, create illegal traffic which can penalize you.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General