Windows 10

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Windows 10

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:52 am

Seems like the heralded features are of the 3D "holographic" type, which bodes ill for me. I only see out of one eye, so if glasses are required (rather like 3D movies now) I'm basically screwed. Got 8.1 running pretty heavily customized, so it runs the way I want it to, so I'll probably wait and see for a few months to see what the general reaction is.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:15 pm

I managed to run win 7 on my old socket 775 P4 PC, DDR1 and a Intel 650 CPU, but for win 10 M$ are asking for CPU features that mine doesn´t have, so i´ll hipotetically have to move to another system what I can´t afford just to complain about the M$ requirements, so long life to XP and 7
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

The "minimum" system requirements for Win 10 aren't that far away from what Win 7 or 8 would require.
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster CPU; for a 32-bit setup 1 GB of RAM, for a 64-bit setup 2 GB RAM. Plus a video card that supports Dx9, and 16 GB drive space. But those minimal needs may change with the official version.
Go by what the parent company notes.. not by bloggers that may not be accurate.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq

My F@H rig is an Intel D975 with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Prescott, 2 gigs G Skill 1066 RAM and a 500 GB drive plus a GTX460 1 GB PCI-E video. 650 watt Antec PSU. Runs about 15 hours daily.
If push comes to shove and my "bus" goes over the cliff, ready for the next machination of Windows.
Not happy with Win 7, too restrictive to Administrator rights. And wants to be too automated with maintenance.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 pm

I have it installed on a Compaq Presario laptop, which had had Vista originally. Runs very well with build 9926.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:24 am

KArl I agree with you that 10 seems to be not more demanding than 7, but as you quoted in the other thread they are asking for a CPU PAE, NX, and SSE2, and as far as I know the intel 650 only has SSE2 not the other two features, so I´m fried with 10
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Have you browsed the BIOS string on your system, rascard2007? Possible there is a BIOS update for it that can accommodate newer CPU types?

One fault with the M$ conglomeration.. they think everyone has the latest and best equipment, and mains power never fails! Reality is out here, folks. But that is just my opinion.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:50 am

Your Prescott 650 is from this series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... C2.A0nm.29
Prescott 2M (90 nm)

Intel Family 15 Model 4
All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Hyper-Threading, Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation)
Intel VT-x supported by: 6x2 e.g. Model 662 and 672
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) supported by: all except 620.
Transistors: 169 million
Die size: 135 mm²
Steppings: N0, R0

NX is supported on your CPU. The only thing that might cause problems is it not being enabled in your bios. Should be under the Security tab with the name NX bit or XD bit or NoeXecute or similar. Enable that.

PAE is only unsupported on a range of mobile Pentium M processors but has been supported since the Pentium Pro, yours should be fine.

There is a report on windows 8 running fine with this CPU, windows 8 also requires PAE/NX/SSE2.

Normally, no need for a new CPU or bios update.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks karl and evasive, i will check that features, my mobo is an intel D101GGC in one of the first revisions using the 0302 BIOS version because I´m affraid of flashing that old board to teh latest supported BIOS version. I have a 650 CPU because was the higher supported by the board without upgrading the BIOS

and karl I agree with you, I read a book many years ago entitled "Operatings systems design concepts" or something like that where the autor stated that the OS designer has to try to make the best uses of the system reosurces at the lowest posible resources consumption to allow the maximum posible resources for the users to run their applications and software in general.

Now with the development of the hardware far beyond the yet defficient software development the OS makers force the users to have the latest posible hardware to migrate to the latest OS version

thanks for all the info once again!

SAM
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mark H » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Have a spare hard drive? If so, give Win10 a try. Available here. Have to sign up with the "Insider" program.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 am

the only gotcha maybe the onboard video, get the "Radeon 2100" driver from the Microsoft Update catalog (allow it to install the add-in, use Internet Explorer) and you should be fine.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Everything else is available from the various manufacturers or included in the Microsoft standard driver set.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems