Dell Inspiron 1545 power problem

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Dell Inspiron 1545 power problem

Postby roddenberry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:50 am

Hello all,

I have this Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop that had its power connector smashed (the exotic octogonal one) . I was lucky enough to find an exact replacement sold in England. But sadly during the process of removing the old smashed connector and replacing it with the new one, which was a success... I inadvertently crushed one of the components on the power board just above the replaced connector. it's a small SM resistor labeled R9. See the attached photo, circled in red. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the component value might be?

Hoping someone has spare board so they could read the component value... It was crushed to dust and of course, I didn't take a pic beforehand (D'oH). I doubt Dell will share their schematic and parts values with me so I am hoping I can wrap this reparation before the end of the weekend, my friend is lost without his computer... ;)
partdead.jpg
Dell Inspiron 1545 power board closeup
partdead.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 601 times
roddenberry
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Dell Inspiron 1545 power problem

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 am

Unfortunately, no value is printed on the component.. only a part number! Your only hope is that Dell or someone else may have a schematic of the board, or someone is willing to unsolder the component and measure its value.. or has an exact replacement.
Perhaps there is an exact same defunct board on eBay or similar site offered at low cost, which has that component in good condition.
Measuring the value of a resistor or capacitor in-circuit does not prove accurate.
Dell may have a replacement component available, but may not willingly offer it.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:33 am

Plenty of power boards to be had on ebay uk for a decent price, some with free postage.
Might be the easiest repair.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:02 pm

I have done some research, the Dell 1545 schematics are out there but all that I could find are behind some membership or pay service. Buying a defunct one could be the easiest option indeed. You can always resell that one...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General