Vaio VCG 7A2L

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Vaio VCG 7A2L

Postby poundu1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 am

Does anyone know where I can purchase an OS disk for a laptop Sony Vaio model VCG 7A2L? It does boot into Windows XP pro but is missing a lot of drivers including network drivers.
Thanks
crispr edit
poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Vaio VCG 7A2L

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Tried the official Sony site?
There should be a hidden partition on the hard drive, maybe 10 gigs, give or take.. that has all the drivers and setup files for that model. Should be able to find it with the Disk Manager feature from Administrator Tools.
A new owner is prompted to copy that info to a disk for backup, during the first few uses. But who does?
You could use any identical OS install disk that is on your system.. but you would need to find the COA code that was certified when the OS was originally installed. Should be a label on the bottom of the unit with that info.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:55 am

One thing that has worked for me in the past: From Device Manager, select an item needing a driver, and have Windows search the "C" drive for drivers. You might be pleasantly surprised. May not work in all cases, but worth a try.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby poundu1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 am

Tried the Sony site with no luck on this model#. I assume they discontinued support. Unfortunately there is no other partition. I would go out and buy a new Windows XP O/S disk but then I would have to find drivers to run the hardware, and with discontinued support from Sony that could prove challenging as well as time consuming.
crispr edit
poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Have you gone to the Microsoft update site, and checked for 'other' updates? There may be some optional ones still available.
Windows should be able to search the Web for any needed drivers.. but scan them first before installing!
Are you certain of that model "VCG 7A2L"? I could not find any links for it, but there are some for a "pcg-7a2l" model.
Mid-2000 there was a change in where the model info is found. Prior location was a tag on the bottom. Later location is on the bezel (frame) of the LCD display or on the LCD hinge.
If you have any Win XP OS install disk identical to the version on your system, use that for repairing or replacing bad files. Just ensure you use the COA ID from the existing system.
CPU-Z is a small but free diagnostics program, from http://www.cpuid.com and can display basic info about a system.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Belarc Adviser is a useful tool, that among other things, will list your Windows Product Key (COA) Get it Here
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:09 am

Try searching for PCG-7A2L, that will bring your here:
https://archive.org/details/Sony-Vaio-PCG-7A2L-2010-12

So at the Sony support site looking for VGN-FS645P:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-hom ... ownloadTab

Have fun. Oh and burn them to a CD or DVD after downloading, MARK the CD properly so you don't have to go through this again...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby poundu1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:12 pm

I have 2 issues in device manager. 1 mass storage controller 2 modem device on high definition audio bus. Would these be covered by the chipset controller download listed under mother boards?
Also I can get this online wireless only under my neighbors unsecured network. We both use comcast. When I try to run my on my wireless it says my router is out of range. I followed the help menu to the letter and get the same error.
crispr edit
poundu1
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:54 pm

1 sounds like a chipset driver might fix this
2 did you already install the AC97 modem driver?
wireless: I suspect the channel is on 12 or higher, set the channel to 11 or lower on your router. The wireless card in this thing cannot handle the higher channels due to its age.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems