Dell chip from PSU ID wire burnt out

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Dell chip from PSU ID wire burnt out

Postby Alex9 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:36 pm

I have a Dell N5040 laptop. It was connected to a shorted Power Supply and you could smell smoke. I opened it up and found a burnt chip which leads to the center identification pin from the PSU. I cleaned it but that didn't do the trick. I'm wondering if this chip is replaceable or even purchasable. I've soldered laptop power jacks before so I have the tools.
The computer gives a warning saying it's not a genuine charger and may not charge the computer. I've tried a new genuine dell adapter and same story so I'm pretty sure it's the burnt out identification chip. Pictures are linked below.

Any help is much appreciated.

https://bitspring.co/space/mh6mx
Alex9
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Dell chip from PSU ID wire burnt out

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:47 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
Any integrated chip on a board is not considered replaceable.. unless you have a special soldering tool that would heat all the solder joints at once for removal or installation.
And getting the exact part replacement may be a problem, unless used in many other brands.
What you have here, instead, is a power transistor.. very easy to replace. But getting the exact part number may require having the schematic for the unit.. if possible. The nearby power transistors may be the same kind, maybe different. But the replacement part has to be exactly the same as original, or performance will suffer.
Something caused it to "fry", and unless that problem is first corrected, then it will happen again.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:44 pm

It would be easier to replace the motherboard. However if you wish to remove the transistors, use an infra red soldering iron with a thin nozzle and foil the surrounding components so you don't knock them off. The IR soldering iron will put the heat where you need it and make the component easier to remove. A normal element soldering iron will burn the PCB.

Edit: On close inspection, I would replace the board. One of the transistors looks to have burnt a trace on the PCB, near impossible to fix.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:59 am

When things start to burn in electronics something has gone seriously worng, I would not trust that power supply anymore either. And yes, replace the entire motherboard, there is no telling what other components were hurt/destroyed when the power transistor broke.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General