Smart Phone Data

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Smart Phone Data

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:25 pm

I don't have a smart phone so that is why I am asking the following question.

Regarding using the smart phone's GPS Map while driving:

My interest is in knowing how much of the data plan is used while driving and using the cell phones GPS Map for directions.

Is the cell phone continously using the data plan while you are driving and using the GPS map while trying to locate a destination?

Some person told me that if I used my home wi fi to plan a trip on the cell phone and set up a trip on it I would not use any of my data plan while driving and using the GPS map for directions ???

If I set up a trip on the cell phone (not wi fi) and start on say a 500 mile trip and use the GPS map the entire trip will all that time come out of my data plan?

Thanks................
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Smart Phone Data

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:24 pm

The GPS should be your primary route guide. It updates every minute or so and every few meters or mile 10ths.
The smart phone is only duplicating that process. Best idea is to do a Google route search, gather way points and features and load into the smart phone. Cell phone minutes are more expensive than GPS minutes. On a smart phone, they are data minutes!
One serious problem with GPS is that it does not distinguish between big rig routes only and car routes. Frequent news reports about big rigs wandering onto restricted roads with low overpass clearance!!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:34 pm

On my iPhone I have a Google maps app for directions, I typically only check it periodically during a trip or or figure out the route before hand... So it's not eating up data the whole time. Between that, checking FB, email, etc. I am using about 1GB of my 2GB/month allotment.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Toby B. wrote:On my iPhone I have a Google maps app for directions, I typically only check it periodically during a trip or or figure out the route before hand... So it's not eating up data the whole time. Between that, checking FB, email, etc. I am using about 1GB of my 2GB/month allotment.

Toby,

If on say a 600 mile day trip and I program the to and from for the trip into the phone I could probably kiss my 2 gb data plan bye bye by days end of this trip. If I have the GPS map constantly working and showing me when and where to turn during this trip the data plan is being used is that correct. Using up a 2gb data plan before the next monthly billing period isn't hard to do if a person is going to be using the GPS map a lot to show how to get there plus like you said, browsing email is more usage of data on top of the GPS map use.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:29 pm

The dedicated GPS unit may have a flat-rate monthly fee, maybe not. But all it does is receive three satellite signals to locate your "patch" of ground space. Services like On Star do incur monthly service fees and air time minute fees. Most newer vehicles with on-board GPS and cellular service may include an emergency notification feature.. if you are in an accident, the system will automatically send a GPS location to the provider so you will get help very quickly.
Save the smart phone air and data time for when needed. As I noted, do your trip plan on a home computer. Then create a text list of mileage points and points of interest for your trip. Small photos and other info could also be included. That can be put onto the smart phone, and called up when needed.. without any extra fees.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:47 pm

Or, you can buy a "Tom Tom' or "Garmin" GPS and not worry about data usage. Prices on these are quite reasonable now.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby c327 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:39 am

Yes I was thinking of that. Garmin & Tom Tom two popular portable GPS makers. Garmin maybe the largest of the two? Which of the two have a better and more accurate map? Which of the two have better features?

What I am getting out of using the GPS map for getting directions is to use it only when you need immediate directions then shut it down
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:34 am

Maybe call it a "GPS smorgasbord" offering? A link to reviews of most popular (and not so popular) GPS units.
Ease of use and accuracy are prime considerations! http://www.gpsreview.net/
While 'consumer' use is limited to maybe 3 meters accuracy, military and surveyor needs can be accurate to less than 1/3 meter.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:27 am

GPS is not "data" in the sense of telecommunications(i.e. cell) data - it is merely GPS-related information which is passed to your GPS-specific hardware within the phone/device. an application (like google maps) interprets the raw data and associates it to a location on a readable map/path.

you would use data to retrieve the map information itself. if not using satellite-view your data usage will be very low.

there are options within google maps to pre-cache map data so you won't need to download it during the trip, but it's limited to a degree of mileage(like 6 10sq/mile segments or something if i remember right). other 3rd party applications allow downloading of entire trips, but most require a form of payment to either get maps or to buy the software.

i used my maps/navigation application on LG G2 a decet amount last month (like 3 or 4 trips) and used 62mb, so...unless you have a pretty low dataplan limit, or use a lot of data on a monthly basis and get close to your limit already, i wouldn't worry about it.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset